Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early SA Dagger by Anton Wingen Jr

Article about: Hello All, I’m new to collecting Third Reich edged weapons and recently obtained an early Anton Wingen Jr SA dagger with gruppe marking “He.” I was told this dagger came from a Vet’s family

Kohler
    ?

Default Early SA Dagger by Anton Wingen Jr

Hello All,
    I’m new to collecting Third Reich edged weapons and recently obtained an early Anton Wingen Jr SA dagger with gruppe marking “He.” I was told this dagger came from a Vet’s family and was never taken apart. The dagger seems all original due to the pommel nut and scabbard screws look unturned, however I want expert opinions and views. Please comment on the dagger overall and also if the hanger is correct for this piece. The hanger is missing the little leather loop. I’m looking forward to hearing your feedback. Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early SA Dagger by Anton Wingen Jr   Early SA Dagger by Anton Wingen Jr  

Early SA Dagger by Anton Wingen Jr   Early SA Dagger by Anton Wingen Jr  

2. # ADS

Welcome to the WRF ,
    Personally to me it looks like a few condition issues ? , "touched up" motto , damaged screws , tool mark on grip nut , and ill fitting grip is what Iam noticing , wait for more seasoned collectors to chime in .
    Early SA Dagger by Anton Wingen JrEarly SA Dagger by Anton Wingen Jr
    Last edited by Australia; 04-20-2015 at 10:37 PM.

?

Welcome Kohler,

I have a complete other opinion then Australia.
    I thinks its a nice A.Wingen early SA dagger.
    Wingen used a dark SA runes button and had a dark coloured anodised scabbard, just like your one.
    I like the inset of the Eagle and button, nice craftmanship.
    The woodschrinking on the left is not that bad, but im sure this is not a partsdagger, these guards fit the grip perfectly, and the guard to throat/scabbard is as good as they come.
    Looking at the crossguard: He is a correct gaumarke for A. Wingen.
    If you look at the topnut you will notice that the nut has been turned clockwise, so its been set tighter and it has not been opened.
    I see no extra blackening in the motto, its just the way you take the picture, take it in a bit different angle and it will look more greyish.
    IMO a nice Original early Anton Wingen with its Original unmarked nickel hanger!

Cheers,
    Ger
    IMO a nice

Absolutely. A Very nice Wingen in original state and unmessed with condition. Nickel fittings look great. Nice early proper marking on the crossguard. The signature super dark sheath matches perfectly with the roundel button's dark enamel. So dark, you have to look twice to make sure it's not an NSKK. Nothing wrong with this rig. No doubt the original one piece leather hanger as well. I like it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thats good news , the closeups of the pics looks like the all screw heads are damaged making me think its been apart a few times , and the blackened motto looks very dark indeed.

?

Quote by Australia View Post
    Thats good news , the closeups of the pics looks like the all screw heads are damaged making me think its been apart a few times , and the blackened motto looks very dark indeed.
    Early scabbard screws on a SA dagger have a little flat top.
    The later rzm screws are rounded.
    These are as they should

Regards,
    Ger

I was referring to the burring on all of the screw slots , blackened motto looks to be marking pen enhanced ? not too sure its untouched ?

Sure does look burred...

The motto has touched up at some point and more recently IMO. I agree with Gerrit also..as the est of the dagger is consistent withan Anton Wingen type. I have seen this producer use darker toned ..OR.. found to have darker toned grips with prominent graining. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

A nice origional early SA by Wingen

Motto looks unmessed with imo & the tiny marks on the screw & top nut are no big deal

Nice Patina

Mac 66.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast