MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Early SA Dagger by Carl Julius Krebs

Article about: Hi again, Dienstdolch enthusiasts. I've found this nice Krebs that I'm interested in. What's really selling me is the bright, shiny blade with all of that great cross-grain, and the nice sha

Default Early SA Dagger by Carl Julius Krebs

Hi again, Dienstdolch enthusiasts. I've found this nice Krebs that I'm interested in. What's really selling me is the bright, shiny blade with all of that great cross-grain, and the nice sharp needle-point. It looks like a great dagger over-all with none of the commonly seen issues like crushed scabbard balls or fiddled-with/sharpened blade, but I'd like to know if I'm overlooking anything. I'd like a better pic of the grip eagle, as there's a little notch in the wood just below the inner-corner of the right wing, but that may very well be nothing. If any of you dagger fiends would like to have a look and comment, I'd be ever so grateful. A million thanks, as always friends.

-DF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early SA Dagger by Carl Julius Krebs
    P
    Many

A hard to find maker and no doubt a beautiful blade and equally conditioned scabbard.

Just my observation and others are welcome to differ if warranted ...yet I see the outer wood edges surrounding the grip eagle is absent of the wood stain and laquer almost having that rubbed off look to it. If this grip eagle was original to the grip then why that absence ?

To keep things in perspective is that many of these producers were under alot of pressure to make quota and supply the SA men their daggers ...which IMO something has happened between the grip and the placement of the eagle.

For a not commonly seen producer anymore ..this dagger has its perks and is still collectable for the type collector if they can live with a few flaws.
    For myself I like the overall fit to be tight and is one reason why it takes longer for me to find that kind of dagger.
    For others its still carries its early history.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The outside looks like it was left in a humid storage area. Nothing a few coats of Ren-wax wont cure. Killer blade !

Quote by Larry C View Post
    A hard to find maker and no doubt a beautiful blade and equally conditioned scabbard.

Just my observation and others are welcome to differ if warranted ...yet I see the outer wood edges surrounding the grip eagle is absent of the wood stain and laquer almost having that rubbed off look to it. If this grip eagle was original to the grip then why that absence ?

To keep things in perspective is that many of these producers were under alot of pressure to make quota and supply the SA men their daggers ...which IMO something has happened between the grip and the placement of the eagle.

For a not commonly seen producer anymore ..this dagger has its perks and is still collectable for the type collector if they can live with a few flaws.
    For myself I like the overall fit to be tight and is one reason why it takes longer for me to find that kind of dagger.
    For others its still carries its early history.

Regards Larry
    Thanks, Larry! Anytime I post about a dagger I always look forward to your insight. I don't know where Carl Krebs rates on the rarity scale, but I do know that I haven't been able to find tons of examples to compare this one to, so I think it's up there fairly high.

Much like yourself, I'm happy to wait months on end to find that "just right" dagger (or other example of a relic I might be searching for), but I do have to say that I've had this one bookmarked for a bit and keep coming back to it - that's usually my collector brain telling me, "stop staring at it and just buy it - you know you want it!". So we'll see if I end up pulling the trigger. Thanks again!

Quote by Dave H View Post
    The outside looks like it was left in a humid storage area. Nothing a few coats of Ren-wax wont cure. Killer blade !
    Yep, I can definitely give it a treatment to prevent further scabbard oxidation if needed. If I pull the trigger on this one and get it in hand I'll be able to tell - could be that the lacquer has just toned a bit dark, but I can't quite tell from the pics. It does look like that this one stands a good chance of being untouched though! Thanks for having a look!

As of 2017 Julius Krebs still rates a 7 ...but anymore all those 6s and 7s are close to being 8s and 9s.
    The reason why they are becoming more rare is less frequency in sightings ...and the majority of what was common 3s and 4s ...are still retained in collections and have not come out.
    Eventually they will resurface at some point.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi,

I've seen this one too. Seller is well known for his legimate of daggers.

Gau stamp He "Hessen". is correct for this maker. some wood schrinkage, but nothing to worry about.

schrinkage will mostly appear if the wood was not fully dried , and worked with and true aging process it schrinks.

just as Larry said production quota was import to complete the order some minor flaws are commonly seen.

overall a nice blade to looking at.

Regards, Rookie.

Quote by RookieSA View Post
    Hi,

I've seen this one too. Seller is well known for his legimate of daggers.

Gau stamp He "Hessen". is correct for this maker. some wood schrinkage, but nothing to worry about.

schrinkage will mostly appear if the wood was not fully dried , and worked with and true aging process it schrinks.

just as Larry said production quota was import to complete the order some minor flaws are commonly seen.

overall a nice blade to looking at.

Regards, Rookie.
    Thank you, Rookie. I've decided I'd like it in my collection, so I've contacted the dealer in hope that its still available. I'll submit some more pics to the forum if I land this one!