Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review

Article about: Thanks again to everyone that helped with this dagger. I came close to buying it, but the bid got just outside of my budget. That seems to be the story of my life. Thanks, Robert

Default re: F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The basic dagger itself is original. F Dick was a legitimate maker of Rohm daggers. SA-Gruppe Westfalen ordered 9700 of these daggers. However, the issue here is if the inscription is original or not? I hope more informed members than I can comment on this. But I have a feeling the motto on the front of the blade has been re coloured? It would be good to see pics taken in daylight which show the dedication and makers mark together.

The cloth under tunic belt is a standard item worn by the Heer and Luftwaffe etc and these can be found in various style by different makers. These are not rare. It would not have been used with an SA dagger.

The dagger is also place back to front in the scabbard. Grr.....

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks for your reply and the information Ade. I was suspicious of the motto, It appears to be darker than some of the other ones I saw when doing an online search. I will request some better pictures from the seller in daylight with the dedication and makers mark together. I know the dagger being in the scabbard from back to front bothers you, as it does me too. It bothers me even more how the seller took the dagger apart and put the blade on the wrong way. Thanks for your help. Thanks, Robert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review
    P
    Many

Thanks William and Steve for your replies I am suspicious of any dagger with a motto on it, even some of the youth knifes. Thanks, Robert

?

the maker is to far away from the hilt to get the motto on the blade

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi TN collector although the inscription looks good ,, the orange yellow lighting in the first few photos are not. Can you show in normal lighting a close up of the Rohm name and the tang as there should be a certain marking on it. On second thought show the whole inscription under normal lighting. The grip does not show the characteristics of a true F. Dick grip,, which were always darker and with some amount of Laquer left. Like an Aesculap producers grip. The paper tag means nothing and does not add any value to it. Still a decent dagger but better photos would help with the inscription and tang marking. The logo is correct with a very rare close to the crossguard variant. The gruppe marking "Wf" is never seen on this maker mainly "Sw" Wm" and rare occasion "He" Crossguards might of been switched out at one time. The lower guard is on the thicker and larger side. These are my observations with this maker! Like I said still a decent dagger but IMO not a true F. Dick. A shot of the inside of the crossguard wont hurt for this early maker. Below is a photo of a commonly seen F.Dick Grip and crossguard. note the step process on the crossguard compared to the Rohm example. I also agree that the motto and inscription was darkened recently. Regards Larry

Also for "Scout" a photo of a Late NSKK with 3 pc marching hanger that is carried on the SA Manns belt.
    Thanks for your reply Larry. So you think It is most likely a parts dagger with the cross gaurd being changed. After learning that it makes me wonder if it is worth pursuing this dagger or just finding a good honest SA dagger? It is at an online auction and the price is all ready what you could get a nice SA dagger for and the auction still has two days left. Larry thanks for sharing the photos of your NSKK dagger it is a beauty!! Thanks for your help. Thanks, Robert

Thanks for your reply Colt, that is a good observation. The guy that has the dagger is selling off a collection of 3rd riech items some of the pieces look good and others not so much. The same seller had an German NCO sword the dove head style grip that some one had added some bogus SS runes to it. Thanks, Robert

Hi Robert IMO I would still go after it since there is not an issue with the inscription except that it is dark and the crossguard and grip could of been replaced during the period from some kind of "Beer brawl" damage,, Who knows but the dagger is still authentic. I was merely pointing out what This makers details were,, but if the price is right and no one else here objects,, go for it! Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 09-21-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for your help Larry. That makes me feel better, I will try to get it hopefully the bid will not get to high. I know I have seen dealers with similar daggers before but not as of late. I lookes at lakeside trader but he did not have anything to compare it to for sale right now. I hate to ask about value but would it be safe to say it is worth more than twice your average SA dagger? Thanks for all your help. Thanks, Robert

Yes definitely twice as much or even 3x an SA or more (( based on the condition its in and the details that were talked about)). Good hunting!! Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Yes definitely twice as much or even 3x an SA or more (( based on the condition its in and the details that were talked about)). Good hunting!! Larry
    Thanks for your help Larry it is much appricated. Thanks, Robert

I was able to get a few more pictures from the seller with the close up of the motto. I am not sure if you will be able to tell much more about it as they are not the best pictures but here they are. Thanks for your time. Thanks, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review   F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review  

F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review   F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review  

F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast