Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger

Article about: Here is a rarity not seen in decent condition..which rates about a 7 on the rarity scale. There are a couple of issues going on with this dagger...which I will address the hanger first…..( a

Default Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger

Here is a rarity not seen in decent condition..which rates about a 7 on the rarity scale. There are a couple of issues going on with this dagger...which I will address the hanger first…..( all of which these issues are positive in nature) As you can see by the hanger it is homemade either by the SA mann himself or a leather worker.
    I am going to lean more towards the SA mann himself as if you take a look at the strap going around the upper part of the scabbard fitting..it resembles a piece of belt..the the double holes it has. I would say ..this piece of belt at one time had a claw type buckle that fitted into the holes. The SA mann was creative enough..and took a flat piece of leather and cut out a shape that would support the belt attachment and also cut out 2 slots for his duty belt. Very creative IMO.

OH Oh…but the SA mann did not take into consideration that when he fitted the belt strap around the upper scabbard fitting..that the carrying ring loop attached to the upper scabbard fitting is on the wrong side!!! This is heart attack type of mistake for collectors and mostly our Illustrious founding WRF father Adrian Stevenson. The problem with this dagger ..is that it can not be reversed as the leather had been cut to fit. I will not disturb this hanger..and move it around.
    Although the correct wear a scabbard carrying device should be on the right side..as was necessary for the SA mann to carry it on his left side while marching or standing guard. This is what is expected from collectors to see this dagger placed correctly in its scabbard……..BUT…during those times…and also inside the scabbard are equally shaped brass runners..which made no difference which way the dagger was placed in the scabbard………….. ( Ade is sweating this now  )
    The carrying ring was placed on the right side of the scabbard for aesthetic appeal and wear as required by the NSDAP. Back then to the SA mann....it made no difference which way it went in..but for uniform purposes it did. I know it is quite painful to see this..and there is nothing I can do..nor can I access the scabbard runners and clean them. I will respect this dagger and hanger for the historical value it has.

This dagger was a Lakesidetrader pickup which looks to have come straight from a collection untouched. The scabbard throat opening exhibits the years of dirt and patina built up…and protecting the near mint blade at the same time. I like the horseshoe logo..which gives me the impression that this dagger may have belonged to an SA Reiter ( Horseman )…just a thought.
    The SA gruppe is “No”… Nordsee..up near the upper northwestern portion of Germany.
    Lets move on..I have done enough damage posting this dagger reversed in its scabbard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger   Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger  

Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger   Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger
    P
    Many

Another key point of interest are the crossguards especially the upper one which is marked internally with a “K”. These “K” marked guards were used by Haco, Wilhelm Kober and Klittermann & Moog. How do I know this guard was not just placed on there..by a returning Vet?….2 other examples I researched one from Brents antiques ( Red Background )..and the other from Tom Wittmann ( Blue background )..both also have the upper Haco type guards ( See Photos below)
    I have also compared my Haco and Ferdinand Neuhaus..head to head to show you the shape of the guards. Take notice also to the tang nut sizes. This dagger and the hanger mostly shows a lot of character and creativity on the SA manns part. This dagger could have been used for riding a motorcycle..a horse..a bicycle…or marching. Sorry for the delay in posting this dagger. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger   Ferdinand Neuhaus Early SA Dagger  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thx for showing Larry,

this is indeed an interesting dagger with hanger, nice to see that a lefthander wasnt wasted by the ultra rightTR regime
    I like the handle and its guards and it has a beautiful blade!
    The comparison with it Haco is spot on.
    what i like about the Haco grip is the way they made their grips, the woodgrain is often seen in the length of the grip.
    That Always makes them look slimmer as they are

Ger

I like it Larry.

But going for a lie down in a darkened room at the thought of it being back to front..
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Larry,

Love this dagger with its homemade hanger ,

this is the type of SA dagger that interests me more than any other run of the mill SA

Unmessed & Uncleaned with an interesting hanger, lovely blade & grip

thanks for showing .

Regards Mac 66.

Not sure how I missed this one Larry? But I agree I love the dagger but its the hanger that really sets this off for me.

Perhaps vertical hangers weren't that available? Or maybe the SA man couldn't justify buying one? Either way theres a good story there.

Even more interesting the leather used is the same gauge as saddle leather. As you know, I would know that.

Best and merry xmas to you all, Matty

Congratulations Larry!
    A very nice example added to your collection. Love the hand made hanger as well.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Homemade leather hanger or not - that dagger and quirky hanger arrangement has loads of charm ..and then some.
    The 'Nordsee' Group stamping is just a bonus IMO.

Larry I don't think your hanger was a mistakenly made as you described but made that way for a reason. If you think about it somebody that went to the effort of making a quality hanger like that wouldn't make a balls up at the last hurdle. Even if they had, they could have easily turned it and even re-riveted it. If you look its semetrical, it could have easily been done by this skilled maker.
    Anyway after 'observing' beautiful horseriders yesterday I happen to notice, if your SA member rode a horse whilst posing with his dagger it would make SENSE to have the sharp piece (where the ring adjoined) facing down to save it digging into the riders side.
    Also bear in mind the leather used is the same gauge and colour used for saddles. Also the rivet is of the same nature.
    Best wishes matty

Nearly forgot.
    If you look at a saddle there is two lengths of leather eitherside with buckle type holes which attach to the stirrup. The Stirup level is adjusted to suit the rider via a TWIN holed buckle as one would pull through. It needs to be adjustable to suit shorter legged or longer legged riders but generally once it is set you don't touch it again.
    I believe part of this length of leather is wrapped round your top fitting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast