MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ground Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions please

Article about: At first, second, and third glance I thought this was an unmarked S.A. On closer inspection I could see where it had been factory ground or done by a professional. The centerline had some fl

?

Default Ground Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions please

At first, second, and third glance I thought this was an unmarked S.A. On closer inspection I could see where it had been factory ground or done by a professional. The centerline had some flat spots and it had been polished at some point. I got out a lit magnifier and found a "c" that was part of maker mark and then little bits and pieces here and there of the Rohm inscription. I believe the c is right where it would be on an Eickhorn. What do you guys think? Its a shame so much of the plating on cross guards is gone because the handle, eagle, SA button, and blade are all pretty good. There are no markings on the cross guards either. This came directly from son of the vet who brought it back and he didn't know anything about it. He said he had never fooled around with it and it had been packed away in an old box with odds and ends of his dad's for the last 20 plus years at least. I just wiped it down some to get the dust and dirt off it to see what I had here.
    Ground Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ground Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions please
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Ground Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions please

I am having a hard time getting pics of the little bits of inscription I have found on the blade. They are so incredibly well ground and buffed away its like seeing shadows of it in tiny bits at a time as you look at it under magnification with light. It was really well done. When looking at it straight down you can see how all the cross grain is there to edges of blade except where the inscription would be. What do the experts think?? Was this done at a factory or done by someone else? I have been wondering why they would maker mark as well?

Default Re: Ground Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions please

Well BHdau...as your RZM121/34SS was a home run hit..https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-di...angers-280145/,, unfortunately this dagger will not make it to first base. Without seeing the blade in hand it would be hard to concur of its originality of it being a Fully ground Rohm dagger. Yes there have been instances that a logo has been totally polished off,, but hard to see this fact in these photos. I cant say for sure what period the blade is from,, but the rest of the dagger is late period RZM,,including the scabbard. So if the blade is early period after examining it in hand..then it would make your dagger mismatched,,or parts dagger. The value of this dagger in its present condition,,will not have much value,,or possibly around $300 US. This dagger according to your story,,was a Vet put together after the war,,to bring home as a souvenier. GIs did not know what was early or late period as they were just happy to bring anything home from Germany during that time.
    Your SS dagger on the other hand stole the show. a beauty to behold. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

here are some more picsGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions pleaseGround Rohm S.A. from Vet's family surprise. Want some opinions please

?

I thought it might be after reading up on ground rohm blades. It wasn't a financial risk so its not a big deal. Thank you for the info. I thought it might be a trophy dagger but I didnt want to type that and put notions in peoples heads right off the bat

?

What made me think it had a decent chance is that it obviously had been together for a long time.

?

Larry, look at picture 7th up from bottom of first post, do you see the C right at centerline from remains of maker mark? its to the right of the dark shadow/reflection on blade. It matches up with where the maker mark would be, in this case looks just like where the c in the Eickhorn maker mark would be.

You are correct in your thinking as anyone would of thought the same theory. It is true,,it has been together since the war,,and that is a long time. Desirability and collectability are based on the dagger,,being whole from the same period. Early-Mid period-Late period.
    What is acceptable to see in some instances are early to mid period parts mixed onto a Late RZM type,,as supply and demand for period parts were hard to acquire so left over stock to make production quota,,was the next alternative. This would be desirable for the type collector...but the value would be somewhat less. I personally prefer the early period made daggers as the craftmanship and fittings are far more superior than the latter pot metal silver plated fittings. You will not see rust or plate lifting on early Nickel silver fittings......PLUS the history of the early movement of the SA / SS.
    Late SS daggers seem to hold their value as their dark history followed them to the end of the war,,as the SS was the replacement of the SA.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The other thought I had was maybe i am seeing things that are not there. I certainly see the c as pictured, but I am having a hell of a time finding the marks I thought were bits of ground away inscription. If that were the case though, what would be reasoning for grinding and polishing away the maker mark?

Depending who was doing the grinding at that time,,, but it is rare to see whole blade grindings. Sometimes if there is a tang marking,, may point to a producer.
    Some grinders did full grindings and some did partial logo grindings,, as they had large grinding wheels to do this process and no Dremel tools were available at that time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast