Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!

Article about: I was unable to get another photo but i was told by the owner that the sheath is brown.

?

Thumbs down Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and was hoping someone could help me out authenticating an Eickhorn SA Marked RZ M7/66 1941 dagger that I am looking at to possibly buy. I am a college student and have been collecting for about 3 years and this would be my first dagger purchase, so I'm hoping to get the opinion of a more experienced collector. Any info/thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. The dagger's sheath is missing the loop meant to hold the leather strap, which concerned me as the seller told me there appeared to be no "scar" where it should be. An idea on value would also be appreciated, as prices i've seen online range from $50-$3,000. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!   Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!  

Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!   Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!  

Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!   Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!

Hello Dramos welcome to the forum,,, well right off the bat,,,this is a common late period RZM maker,,anything after 1939. The price range on these late examples will not exceed $500 in its present condition minus the carrying ring. If you may,,,,, I would like to see a better close up of the RZM logo and also a close up of the word " Fur" on the motto on the obverse side of the blade. Do not use a flash and outside photos would be better but no direct sunlight,, preferably an overcast day. Please also take a photo of where the carrying ring used to be. These 3 things I ask for are important in better authenticating this dagger. This dagger looks to be a late period NSKK dagger which is the motor transport branch of the SA. The black scabbard separates this from the commonly seen brown scabbard. Looking forward to some close ups,, Best regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry,

Thank you very much! I am working on getting the pictures. The dagger is not in my possession so once i receive the pictures from the owner i will immediately post them.

?

Larry,

Here are the 3 photos you asked for. Hope they are what you are hoping to see!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!   Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!  

Need help authenticating sa dagger!!!  

Definitely a 'scar' where the hanger ring has been - someone has
    ground down or filed this area. This, along with it's condition
    will keep the value under $500, as Larry mentioned.........
    Regards,

Steve.

The ring, however, could possibly have been period removed by it's owner to facilitate the use of a vertical hanger. Rather than threading the strap through the ring, some men would remove it altogether. The blade has nice crosshatching on it still and has not been sharpened or polished and looks to be fairly free of any other abuse. Overall, not a bad piece. I, too, think it's likely an NSKK scabbard and looks to be original to the set.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi Dramos,

as far as i can see with this pictures you have a standard dark brown scabbard making it a standard SA.
    Like Larry stated its very important how you make a picture, flash is not done, heavy sunshine either.
    The way these pictures are made it even seems that you scabbard isnt painted but even looks like an anodized version.
    It has a great grip to scabbard fit, and even the grip ( with its late alu eagle) fits nicely to the crossguards.
    Seen that a lot worse on the late daggers then this one
    Lots of the original cross grain is still on the blade and the ring seems a period removal ( shows wear/rust just like the rest) for the vertical hanger.
    Overall still a good RZM dagger, pricerange in Holland 400-425 euro tops.

Cheers,
    Ger

?

i see a dark brown scabbard. just an SA i think. andrew

?

Thank you for all the responses! As i haven't seen the dagger in person, if when I do the sheath is black instead of brown or vice-versa is there a price difference for being NSKK dagger versus an SA?

Dramos, Would it be possible to see a photo of the scabbard outside in the natural light? It would show the true color much better. Thanks!
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-08-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast