Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Older SA with Gruppe mark Fr

Article about: Bought at local military show; no scabbard and rough condition; previous owner told seller it was used as a letter opener since the war. I need to decide to keep as is, get a scabbard for it

Default Older SA with Gruppe mark Fr

Bought at local military show; no scabbard and rough condition; previous owner told seller it was used as a letter opener since the war. I need to decide to keep as is, get a scabbard for it or new blade and scabbard to make more presentable...but most of time i dont like to change the artifact and try to maintain as they are acquired. Comments on dagger or its future?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Older SA with Gruppe mark Fr   Older SA with Gruppe mark Fr  

Older SA with Gruppe mark Fr   Older SA with Gruppe mark Fr  

Older SA with Gruppe mark Fr  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Older SA with Gruppe mark Fr
    P
    Many

?

IMO The blade was broken and re-sharpend and edged.. Larry C. And others will post I am sure.. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Hi Joseph,,This dagger had seen its better days..and IMO would not be worth trying to upgrde the condition..which would take away from this being a whole and complete dagger. When you start replacing blades scabbards and fittings.you are adding onto more SA men belonging to this one dagger.

Gwar points out the that blade tip had been broken and looks like someone dis-serviced it by grinding down until rounded. The Producer is being common with a rarity rating of 5 out of 10. The blade very pitted which detracts value on a grand scale. For the sake of history that this dagger once was carried and the condition its in. $50 US ...because its authentic but in lesser condition.

I hope you did not pay too much for it..as this dagger is very early period authentic..but in poor condition. I dont believe the letter opener story especially when the tip if the blade is wider than a spackle knife and rounded. Who can open envelopes with a dull rounded knife..I doubt it could go through a paper bag.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder..and if you are happy with it..then its yours to cherish.

Any future thoughts on acquiring an SA dagger ..are a couple of links to follow of reputable dealers.

Lakesidetrader | German WWII Daggers & Medals
    Wittmann Antique Militaria
    Meda Militaria Home

You could seek to get a scabbard for this .if you want to and best try communicating with the links I provided. When searching for a scabbard..you must match the condition of the dagger. You may have a tough time doing this..but nothing is impossible. Patience provides.
    Not all scabbards will fit the lower guard snugly as there wee many producers that had millimeter adjustments in scale and shape..and will be noticeable to other collectors..and yourself.

condition is everything you must search for .if you are searching for a scabbard or leave it as is as a conversation piece. Dont open letters with it..but better to use as a butter knife ........... Just joking Joseph

Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Please Lord.. Don't get me addicted to Daggers... I'll be broke in a few months... Thanks Larry
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thanks Larry and Gwar; Ill leave as is. I did pay a little more than $50 but not too much.
    Joe