Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Opinions on Krom SA Dagger

Article about: A little shapened OK, but with a shape change Retipped also, on a otherwise common dagger but a rare maker?- Not one for my collection. I can't afford to have it next to anything as a piece

?

Default Re: Opinions on Krom SA Dagger

A little shapened OK, but with a shape change Retipped also, on a otherwise common dagger but a rare maker?- Not one for my collection. I can't afford to have it next to anything as a piece like this will pull down everything around it, not up. And when it comes to sell it, you'll be looking for awhile for a buyer and probably taking a loss.
    A Little harsh, but that's my view and observation.

-wagner-

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on Krom SA Dagger
    P
    Many

?

Hi Wagner,
    it all depends on what you seek in a collection.
    Ive pointed out in different posts that buying a starter can be a expensive buy after all.
    (money stuck in a hard to sell starter, and then you need to save for the new one all over again)
    Its hard to sell..we both agree on that, and i would not buy it either.
    I rather would buy a dagger of a common maker in great shape then a rare one in a beat up condition, but thats just me....
    Unfortunate a lot of collectors lack funds to buy what they realy like.....

Cheers Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 12-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote by wagner View Post
    A little shapened OK, but with a shape change Retipped also, on a otherwise common dagger but a rare maker?- Not one for my collection. I can't afford to have it next to anything as a piece like this will pull down everything around it, not up. And when it comes to sell it, you'll be looking for awhile for a buyer and probably taking a loss.
    A Little harsh, but that's my view and observation.

-wagner-
    Hi Wagner although there are some issues with this dagger,,,What is it that would "not" make the producer "Krom" a rare maker. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Wagner although there are some issues with this dagger,,,What is it that would "not" make the producer "Krom" a rare maker. Regards Larry
    Hi Larry,
    Krom is a rare maker for SA daggers, no question. When I judge a edged weapon for it's collectability, all attributes and distractions are considered and weighed.
    For example, for me if the dagger had been personalized on the blade or elsewhere, or had dedicated crossguards with inscriptions, that would make it a scarce or perhaps rare example. However, what we have here is a rare maker on a plain dagger. How much more is the dagger worth by having that '10' rating for maker rarity compared to a sharpened and retipped rare maker? Since the blade is the most important part of any edged weapon it's condition is paramount to the decision usually associated with most decisions whether to purchase or pass. The lack of additional collector 'upgrades' on this plain dagger does not overcome the
    serious detraction of what was done to the blade.
    That be said, I do have one shapened blade SA dagger in my collection with the Vets name scrawled big time into the grip. However it is truly a rare presentation dagger. I view that particular dagger that the blade dedication outweighs the vet damage that was done to the piece, as the rarity value superceeds the damage.

-wagner-

Quote by wagner View Post
    A little shapened OK, but with a shape change Retipped also, on a otherwise common dagger but a rare maker?- Not one for my collection. I can't afford to have it next to anything as a piece like this will pull down everything around it, not up.

-wagner-
    Hi Wagner,,Great point...no doubt and condition means alot also.....what has also to be taken into consideration,, although a plain blade,,and lesser condition...Is the dagger all original period! This plays a large part in making a decision along with condition. Yes there are separations in collector preference as you stated above ,, but all who collect these types regardless of condition can agree with what you say and others not. I myself,,like my SAs near mint....why?.. it shows usage instead of being brand new out of the box or unissued. ( My personal preference)...others like them Minty mint! No problem there either. ((Those with the lesser wallet can afford what they can)),,, and would rather have something original than junk parts daggers. "Better to have hogs breath than no breath at all". Would I buy an SA that was dragged through the street chipped,dinged,,and defaced...probably not as I seek my preference,,,although that beater SA is still a piece of history and was quite possible it was in the same presence as Hitler and Rohm. Good chat! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Ok, so I know some weren't fans of this one but I really liked it and the price was right so I went for it
    When I opened the parcel this morning this is what I was met with (I think the original photos did it no justice at all). The blade has been re-tipped and very slightly sharpened but you can still see a lot of original cross graining. I didn't have any natural light time available today for photos so did what I could without a flash, the handle looks lovely in the flesh.
    Cheers,
    Chris.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on Krom SA Dagger   Opinions on Krom SA Dagger  

Opinions on Krom SA Dagger   Opinions on Krom SA Dagger  

?

Hi Chris,

Looks better now than the last pix imo

For the price you paid for this rare maker SA i say you did well

Enjoy The Dagger Mate

Regards Mac 66.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    still a piece of history and was quite possible it was in the same presence as Hitler and Rohm.

Its a crowd pleaser in my book!! Your photos are most excellent as I also use a white background with soft lighting. I also agree with Mac66,,you did well finding a rarity 10! Regards Larry

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated, Chris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2