Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Picked new SA dagger with another inscription on the back...

Article about: I think Larry is spot on. The big early Logo has been used on the first series of Rohm dedicated daggers. IMO the blade could very well be real. Scabbard is for sure no eickhorn and a later

Well...as we've said countless times here before-buy the item-not the story. So, here is what we know: the dagger came from an elderly woman who relayed a preposterous story to go with it. We've all heard and met innocent old women or men who were selling their spouse/uncles/grandfathers "old German stuff". Did her nephew give this to her and say "Aunt Zelda-sell this thing for me-I don't care what you get for it, just get rid of it for me."? Did her nephew find a tinkered with and ruined NSKK dagger that someone had added an inscription on to sell for big money but did a lousy job of it and got stuck with something he couldn't sell it, so he aged the Hell out of it and sent it on down the channels for someone else to worry about? Who knows?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Picked new SA dagger with another inscription on the back...
    P
    Many

Whoa hold on gents!!!...Eickhorn has made Rohm daggers with the larger double oval..and I will supply photos later unless someone else can be challenged enough to beat me to it There were not as many seen of this variant..which makes them collectibly rarer.

Take into consideration also that EP&S ..Herder "diamond logo" Anton Wingen..Ed Wustoff Wilhelm Kober and a few others all of which are large logos. never say never until you read the fine print.

Now..as far as the inscription is concerned I do have to partially agree...it looks bad.. amid the corrosion and poor conditioned blade..the inscription seems to be larger than normal. I will take a closer look at this later..but my bet it was etched post war.

nothing wrong with the grip at all.and everything I see is attributed to Eickhorn..including a bench mark beneath the crossguard. The scabbard fittings are the plated type...this was not an early period NSKK....but possible later added in the period or post war.

It is also to see lifting of the grip eagle occasionally..nothing wrong there also. Mr Fbeaty..you done well for $50..although it is very salty. I would like to see the blade clean up a bit..see better photos.

The widows story??...hard to say..we hear them all the time..but what I see in front of me right now speaks for itself. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I've never seen a blade quite as bad as this one. It appears to be
    coated with rust, goo, slime and filth - possibly to obscure the
    etching - while the outer areas of the dagger are relatively
    clean. I have seen completely rusted blades, but they
    did not look like this.

On the other hand, if it was offered to me I would
    likely would have paid $50.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Despite the destroyed Blade, the Parts of the rest of it are Certainly well worth 50 bucks and Then some..
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Here is a photo of 3 Eickhorn logos used for the Rohm dedication pattern..I am still in the process of searching for a photo of the large double oval to post with an inscription. For those who have Ralf Siegerts SA book on pg 199 shows a ground Rohm with large double oval.
    take into consideration..also when examining the blade spine of a ground example..the spine will exhibit a slight wave type of curvature where the grind took place...other than that it will appear that anyone could of just sanded a blade and give that impression.
    ( Photo credit Hermann V -GDC )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked new SA dagger with another inscription on the back...  
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

As far as authenticating the inscription..IMO it is very difficult to discern exact detail due to the condition and appearance of the blade and inscription itself..below is a Eickhorn etch I have found..that should be compared to the example that Fbeaty has supplied. The inscription is very close in some respects..but the condition detracts for giving any authentication. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked new SA dagger with another inscription on the back...   Picked new SA dagger with another inscription on the back...  

Picked new SA dagger with another inscription on the back...   Picked new SA dagger with another inscription on the back...  

?

I will be cleaning the blade sometime in the future...had some advice...on what to do by an someone. I am no expert on blades and that is why I ask for help. Granted the widows story is wild...and for $50 bucks it was a grand story. But I am fully confident that this is not a modified version or altered in anyway. I never heard of the grounded Rohm's or this type of dedication when I bought it from her. The Rohm inscription wasn't a selling point. It was that she just didn't want it anymore...Larry I also appreciate your time and help with the blades...you have always been helpful on all my few...blades in the past.

?

I will also try getting some more pics on Sunday...with the whole blade....and so forth. Also...I don't sell my finds...but for value price...what is something like this worth(if real)? Also in this condition what price? And if cleaned? Just wondering...

Was told that supergel will clean without damage? And Semichrome...will polish.

Thanks

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Here is a photo of 3 Eickhorn logos used for the Rohm dedication pattern..I am still in the process of searching for a photo of the large double oval to post with an inscription. For those who have Ralf Siegerts SA book on pg 199 shows a ground Rohm with large double oval.
    take into consideration..also when examining the blade spine of a ground example..the spine will exhibit a slight wave type of curvature where the grind took place...other than that it will appear that anyone could of just sanded a blade and give that impression.
    ( Photo credit Hermann V -GDC )
    I just noticed something in this pics...The Eickhorn is partially removed in the grounded process on the picture you posted with the 3 together...mine too is partially removed in the ground process...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Picked new SA dagger with another inscription on the back...  

That could be a grand possibility it might be a partial Rohm..hard to tell under all the mess.....take your time and clean it up a bit..you only put $50...and with the right cleaning and care....it might be worth more. No Rush!! I never used super gel....which i never ran into that problem..so I have no experience in that material...simi chrome...will help clean it up alot..but mostly..there might be stains that can not be removed..because they may be embedded in the steel now...but the junk on the top of the blade might be removable. give it a try..but take your time. Regards Larry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast