Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Quesions about a Helbig SA Dagger (pre-RZM)...

Article about: Hi all, I picked up this Helbig maker marked SA Dagger and am curious about its rarity. I've searched around for a maker marked Helbig and can only seem ti find the RZM marked examples. If i

?

Default Quesions about a Helbig SA Dagger (pre-RZM)...

Hi all,

I picked up this Helbig maker marked SA Dagger and am curious about its rarity. I've searched around for a maker marked Helbig and can only seem ti find the RZM marked examples. If it rare to come across a maker-marked Helbig SA?...

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect WW2 German SA Daggers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Quesions about a Helbig SA Dagger (pre-RZM)...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Quesions about a Helbig SA Dagger (pre-RZM)...

MAJOR SCORE Dyzner!! Helibig SA daggers are one of the rare of the rare as it rates a 10 on the McSaar list. VERY HARD to find this maker. The early long nosed snap clip is a plus also. Great conditioned !! Period all the way! regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    MAJOR SCORE Dyzner!! Helibig SA daggers are one of the rare of the rare as it rates a 10 on the McSaar list. VERY HARD to find this maker. The early long nosed snap clip is a plus also. Great conditioned !! Period all the way! regards Larry
    Larry, is it correct that Helbig were the only dagger makers who used steel crosspieces that were then plated, unlike others that used zinc or pot metal?? That would indicate that they would be the only magnetic type of crosspieces around wouldn't it??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Larry! I appreciate the kind words. I think the eagle may have been replaced at some point as there appears to be a small footprint left from the original, but IMO it looks like a period replacement simply based on the degree of care that was taken to fit the new eagle into the grip. Looks like its been there a while.

Hi Ned ,, Yes if they were RZM daggers in general,, but not to my recollection that "FA Helibig" made these type of crossguards on any early examples ...OR..late RZM Helbig examples. Nothing has surfaced to my knowledge about early steel guards being used. ,, and as far as late examples ...Yes!.. Some makers used steel crossguards on the later RZM types but who used them? Hard to say,, but there is a possibility that Helbig used them on late examples. Sightings seen of the same maker would give a better idea as who used them the most,, but nothing is written down as such,, only what has been found. Too much parts trading going on towards the end of the war,, so anymaker could of had them and put them on,,... or a post war application. IF THERE WAS AN EARLY CROSSGUARD that was made of steel and it had a gruppe mark just for verification,,I am very positive that no matter what was applied over it,, it would of picked off and lifted like the late examples. I have not seen any early crossguards ever doing that except those that someone got their hands on and switched out the part. If there is an early gruppe marked steel crossguard out there it would be beneficial for the forum to see it,, including myself.
    @ Dyzner......I agree that it is very possible that it is a period replacement,, if you take notice to the tight fit of the crossguard to grip,, you would know that this company didnt make junk. So I beleive this eagle to be a period replacement. just because a dagger is a #10 on a rarity list doesnt make it a diamond,,,, just rare. I have seen worse on some 10s compared to 3s. JMO. I have seen only 2 other times an FA Helbig SA and once an RZM example. Take special note of the accent grooving as they are a shallow depth. I have seen this type of grooving on a Thuringia maker which is not commonly seen. You have a nice find!! Hang on to it Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Darren, very nice dagger, well done.

Hi Larry and Ned, in addition to Larry's comments re LATER steel crossguards used on RZM daggers. I have one by M7/73 which can be seen below. I have not observed any others on EARLY daggers.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Quesions about a Helbig SA Dagger (pre-RZM)...  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

You are lucky, great looking early Helbig, just look at the way this one was build!
    Perfect the way they made the grip fit the cross guards!
    I could not resist a knife like this!
    Enjoy it

cheers,
    Ger