Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA blade Dedication

Article about: Hi Gents, A friend of mine just got this dagger, and we're trying to identify the signatures- any help would be appreciated. The dagger dates from 1939-40. Arran.

?

Default SA blade Dedication

Hi Gents,
    A friend of mine just got this dagger, and we're trying to identify the signatures- any help would be appreciated. The dagger dates from 1939-40.

Arran.

SA blade DedicationSA blade DedicationSA blade DedicationSA blade Dedication

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA blade Dedication
    P
    Many

?

The dedication name isnt etched, that is clearly visible when you look closely at the last name W.Heinsberg, the b is missing a part.
    There is also no depth, which is a bad sign.
    So far i have never seen a dedication where the top is etched ( in dankbarer Anerkennung) and the name of the one in which name its been given painted.
    Painted dedications are huge red flags.
    but lets see what the rest has to say about this one.

Regards,
    Ger

I agree with Ger.....the 2 styles of application of the inscriptions makes little sense. A painted inscription would last about as long as it took to put it into and remove it from the sheath a few times. This would be absurd. I, too, have never seen or heard of an inked on dagger blade inscription.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi Gents,
    Thanks for the input. The signatures are actually etched too, and the dagger has been examined by Thomas Whittmann (in fact I believe he's going to include it in his next book), but take that for what its worth...

?

Hi Arran,

i hope your not offended, but when you post something on a forum all kinds of different opinions can be encountered, and some you may not like.
    I could take you word for it but i better rely on cold facts, so could you make better closeups with a 45 degree angle to the dedication? that might clearify the depth issue.
    If your willing to do so then please take the Heinberg part, because i cant see any depth at all, not even on a 10x magnification.
    Pics can reveal but also hide a lot, and essential to good determination are high detailed pics.
    I would rather see myself proven wrong and looking at a genuine etch then looking at the next fake one and being right.
    Thx in advance

regards,
    Ger

How can a etched inscription be missing parts of the letters?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hello- of course no offence is taken and I appreciate all input! It is my understanding that when signatures were transcribed in this way, that they would be exact reproductions of the original pen signature, ie. if the original signature had a break there (the pen lifted from the paper), then the resulting etch would reflect this. I'll ask my friend to take some better pics to see if this will help, and I'll also post a copy of Whittmann's assessment...

Hi Arran ... Detailed .. Close up and sharp photos under the right lighting conditions will speak more in volumes then here say. Surely we look forward to seeing this dagger in Toms book .. In a matter of study though regardless of who has seen it or what reference it will be seen in....is that those same photos in those books are of the sharp and clear type... So here on the WRF we seek the same for study and discussion purposes.
    Glad to have you here and showing your dagger of future reference book glory. Looking forward to more photos too!! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I've asked my friend for the requested pics, and in the meantime here is what Whittmann had to say about the dagger:

SA blade DedicationSA blade Dedication

Hi Arran...The Best answer has been provided..as an "In Hand Inspection" by a notable dealer and collector himself..should close the door of doubt..on the inscription. Photos are 2 dimensional ..as "In Hand" is 3 dimensional. Much more can be seen closely in that respect. Thankyou for sharing this one of a kind dedicated dagger..which will be the highlight of your collection. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast