Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dagger?

Article about: Hi, I found this SA dagger (no scabbard) in my father's collection. I've found some history on it (and still reading) and I believe it to be authentic. According to my father it is. Can anyb

Electerik
    ?

Default SA Dagger?

Hi,

I found this SA dagger (no scabbard) in my father's collection. I've found some history on it (and still reading) and I believe it to be authentic. According to my father it is.
    Can anybody confirm my claim on authenticity.
    I'm also having trouble on finding the value of this type of piece.
    Can anybody help?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger?   SA Dagger?  

SA Dagger?   SA Dagger?  

SA Dagger?   SA Dagger?  

SA Dagger?  

2. # ADS

Electerik
    ?

Default Re: SA Dagger?

Actually, I'm having a hard time figuring out the brand marking. "Solingen" is fine but I haven't come across anything labeled "E.P" and no logo of that type.

Quote by Electerik View Post
    Actually, I'm having a hard time figuring out the brand marking. "Solingen" is fine but I haven't come across anything labeled "E.P" and no logo of that type.

How about Ernst Pack?
    Bob

'E.P. & S.' stands for Ernst Pack & Son, as Bob states. This are a common maker.
    'No' stamped on the crossguard is for the Gau area of 'Nordsee'

It is in rather rough shape with the large cracks in the grip, and the blade extremely
    worn and tarnished. Not having the scabbard does not help. Still an original though.
    Was it a 'bring back' or did your father collect it some time after the war ?

I would not try to polish it, as you will remove grind lines, and etching in the logo/motto areas.
    Regards,

Steve.

Electerik
    ?

"E.P & S." Thanks to both of you!

I will definitely leave it as is. I'm no pro but I don't think it will ever look any better. I agree that it's not in tip-top shape but it still looks decent.

He picked it up some time after the war. He actually picked up a lot of things. Not all of them concerning the war.

Erik

"E.P & S." Thanks to both of you!

I will definitely leave it as is. I'm no pro but I don't think it will ever look any better. I agree that it's not in tip-top shape but it still looks decent.

He picked it up some time after the war. He actually picked up a lot of things. Not all of them concerning the war.

Erik
    They are a very beautiful dagger, a design which was copied from 16th century hunting daggers.
    The character within the E.P. & S. logo is Seigfreid, - a figure from the Sagas - wielding his hammer...........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger?  
    Regards,

Steve.

Electerik
    ?

Perfect.
    I finally know what the little guy on the blade looks like and I now know his name! Thanks for the pic Walkwolf.
    I've seen some of these at around 650 to 800 in Nmint cond. w/scabbard. I have no idea if it's a reasonable value for an SA dagger and if my internet references are good.
    From this point on, with those suggested values, I imagine that w/out a scabbard, the value is halved. The stained and worn blade as well as the crack in the pommel roughly halves it again. Making it possibly around the 150-200 mark.
    Is this a fair evaluation on my part? I'm not looking for a specific appraisal but more some pointers and cues to guide me and let me know if I have the right idea when looking at these pieces.

Perfect.
    I finally know what the little guy on the blade looks like and I now know his name! Thanks for the pic Walkwolf.
    I've seen some of these at around 650 to 800 in Nmint cond. w/scabbard. I have no idea if it's a reasonable value for an SA dagger and if my internet references are good.
    From this point on, with those suggested values, I imagine that w/out a scabbard, the value is halved. The stained and worn blade as well as the crack in the pommel roughly halves it again. Making it possibly around the 150-200 mark.
    Is this a fair evaluation on my part? I'm not looking for a specific appraisal but more some pointers and cues to guide me and let me know if I have the right idea when looking at these pieces.

I think you are accurate in the breakdown and a possible figure for your dagger.
    $200 to $250 is what I had thought myself at first, for that is what I'd probably want to pay,
    and I suppose it would sell fairly quickly at that price. I saw a similar worn and damaged
    example but with a scabbard selling for $300 a few years ago.

Sometimes it is better not to give valuations, as they may be way off to begin with, or seem harsh
    and insulting because the owner thinks what he has is priceless ! You are very down to earth and sensible
    in the way you arrived at an approximate value.
    Regards,

Steve.

Electerik
    ?

Thank you very much Steve.

Your input has been very valuable.