Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Sa dagger

Article about: Hello. I have this at home and this is a dry dagger? Regards Tommy

?

Default Sa dagger

Hello. I have this at home and this is a dry dagger?

Regards

Tommy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sa dagger
    P
    Many

Hello the blade looks good. The dagger was taken apart and re-assembled wrong at some point. The gruppe mark should be at the rear, which more than likely lead to the cracked condition of the handle. The grip fit to the top crossguard is very poor and leads me to believe it is a replacement, which if true would make this a parts dagger. I m not sure about the gruppe mark being correct to this maker. Larry and the other dagger guys will be able to expand more on those points. Best regards.

Brian

Compare to this example shown/sold by Lakeside Trader

Early SA Dagger by Friedrich Geigis | Lakesidetrader

Brian pretty much nailed it with his observations and what I can add is that although the guard misfits the wood grip..I can say that all of the dagger is all early.

The early daggers were less conspicuous in minor flaws than the latter production types of the mid and late periods. I would expect to see a tighter fit of the grip to the crossguards. ( Minor shrinkage allowed )

The belly of the grip shows a gap where the lower guard meets. A perfect example of a tight fit can be seen in the link Brian has provided.
    Something obviously happened to the scabbard and why its scraped up.

The blade shoulders meet the lower guard nicely and would say the grip has been added at some point in time.
    The whole dagger belongs to itself except the grip.

The SA gruppe " Ns" is correct for this producer.

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 08-26-2018 at 01:59 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill