Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dagger by C Linder

Article about: Hello, I have a chance to get this dagger from someone local and after looking at the dagger it looks good except for a bad fit on the hilt. I dont want too make the wrong choice and I feel

Thumbs up SA Dagger by C Linder

Hello, I have a chance to get this dagger from someone local and after looking at the dagger it looks good except for a bad fit on the hilt. I dont want too make the wrong choice and I feel it is probably original but would like additional input
    thanks
    john

SA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C Linder

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger by C Linder
    P
    Many

The parts are all original.

I do wonder about the grip though? The gap on the crossguard and the picking around the eagle and poor fit would be concerns for me. I would suggest some restoration work has been carried out.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

To support also what Ade has commented on..is that the dagger had been opened at some point also. ( take notice to the condition of the tang nut ) The wear condition of the grip which is minus of the contour ridges seen on the grip,..is very worn including a "halo" around the grip eagle. IMO I feel someone has messed with that area. There is a crack which appears to be on both sides of the grip also..which is common sometimes..but the lower grip gap to the cross guard is on the larger side.

The Guards have the shallow type accent grooves,,which only a small handful of makers used. I will follow up on that later on after work who is commonly seen using these type guards. These are not your standard generically used guards. other than the grip fit and Grip eagle the rest of the dagger appears decent. Crossgrain is lovely. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi John , I agree with Ade and Larry here , my take on it is that the dagger could have been taken down perhaps to replace an adler on a probable de nazified grip . It looks from the pics that on replacement of the grip that it has not been re aligned too well , however , the fit to the top and bottom edges of the grip/cross guards seems reasonably tight ( if not on one side of the lower crossguard ) . The lower crossguard shows the Gruppe mark Wm which is correct for this maker . The overall patina to the fittings looks nice and even and the blade looks nice and is in well above average condition . Whether the blade is original to the fittings i couldn't say as the gap between the blade and crossguard could also be down to bad reassembly . The scabbard looks straight and the ball looks good from the pics .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

To me it looks like a good textbook C.Linder.
    the place of the Runesbutton and its colour are correct for this maker, also the type of wood and the roundness of the middle/center of the grip with its eagle fit this maker well.
    I have compared this one with 5 other early C.Linders and all have the same appearance.
    I have added another one for you'll to compare.

Maxspeed posted his one a little time ago same round grip appearance, Jims militaria;'s Linder has the same type of grip
    C Linder
    Regards,
    Ger
    SA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C LinderSA Dagger by C Linder

Has this SA been re-assembled loosely? In Some of the photos, the grip gap is glaringly obvious and in photo 16, for example, it is no longer visible. Personally, I would avoid this one myself, as to my eyes, anyway, it appears to have a replaced grip. There are plenty available out there without having to be always wondering about this one.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

William not to many C.Linder's out there M8..
    And the wood shrinking ( as seen on the right below corner can also be the reason why the eagles wings are forced out of the grip like this one has.
    To make sure a peak inside the grip is needed, if the splits are there, then its just shrinking that makes them pop out a bit, i have seen that on plenty early eagles.
    It should not be that difficult as the nut has been turned and the dagger has been opened up already.
    I think its not a bad one at all.

Ger

Thanks Ger. Maybe their wood working skills were not as good as their metal bashing afterall...

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!