Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA Dagger-David Malsch

Article about: Guys, picked this up at a garage sale last week. Thought you'd like to have a look. Best, Hal

Default Re: SA Dagger-David Malsch

It's nice to see that this stuff is still out there. You did real
    well for your $30.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger-David Malsch
    P
    Many

?

Gobsmacked & Stunned, SA Dagger for $30!

Mega Bargain & a lovely rare maker as well

Congrats Hal

Regards Mac 66.

Hal
    ?

Thanks Ewan, Alan, and everyone for your comments. Larry, I only put a little WD40 on the blade but it looks better than the pic, and thanks for adding this maker to your list. Best, Hal

$30 bucks for a top condition Rare maker SA?? Where the heck are these garage sales around Here?? About all you can expect in blades in These parts might be a rusty Barlow missing one of it's grip panels... As Monty Python's Eric Idle always used to say "Ooooh! You Lucky Barstard!"

I trust that you at the very Least asked the seller if they had any Other military or war stuff-maybe still in the house??
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hal
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    $30 bucks for a top condition Rare maker SA?? Where the heck are these garage sales around Here?? About all you can expect in blades in These parts might be a rusty Barlow missing one of it's grip panels... As Monty Python's Eric Idle always used to say "Ooooh! You Lucky Barstard!"

I trust that you at the very Least asked the seller if they had any Other military or war stuff-maybe still in the house??
    Hi William, I've seen my share of Barlows. Best, Hal

Ha ha, William is right - "You Lucky, Lucky........."
    Regards,

Steve.

I like this David Malsch dagger alot as it still retains the crispness of the grip contours. It is still sharp in some areas which is a Big + along with desirable crossgrains on a dagger..grip wear is something searched for when studying SAs. most SA daggers lost their sharpness due to the SA mann holding the grip standing in formation or guard in designated areas.
    The fittings appeared to been cleaned a long time ago....and some patina has returned. Some new owners choose still to put oil or a lubricant on the blade to protect against rust. A warning must be given if this procedure will be followed...that residual oil over the last 7 decades put in there by the returning vet..has dried and hardened on those high ridge areas of the scabbard runners..( see photo below ) The scrape marks seen running horizontal above and below the motto are the hardened runners rubbing against the steel leaving a permanent scar. All untouched SA and SS daggers from the war...will have a certain amount of " Verdigris buildup on the runners. I can only suggest and it is up to the new owner of any of these crafted beauties..that preservation should be the #1 thought in their mind.
    below are photos of the grip sharpness...and a hard look at a scabbard runner....with Verdigris and one what it should look like when it came from the producer new.
    Your blade Hal seems to be in good condition which was well kept by whoever had it last. ....but I mention the use of oil as a warning for any future use as everything in time dries....even oil. Regards Larry

Below a look into sharp contour ridges and scabbard runner degradation.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger-David Malsch   SA Dagger-David Malsch  

SA Dagger-David Malsch   SA Dagger-David Malsch  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I will buy it for 50,--, you'll make a nice 20 dollar profit...LOL
    shipping is on my account.....
    a nice SA dagger!
    Malsch is indeed a hard one to find, a 9 on the Siegert scale
    Enjoy this great find..

BTW dont take Larry words of yealousy to hard...all his daggers only cost him 100-- dollars, and mine only cost 200 dollars each......at leat thats what we tell our wifes

Cheers,
    Ger
    here a picture of the Siegert scale
    SA Dagger-David Malsch

Wow I dont think I have a single TR item that cost me less then 30 dollars none the less a SA Dagger!!!!!!!! LOL Merry Christmas!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2