Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sa dagger with full röhm dedication

Article about: Hi there! I was offered today for purchase this SA dagger with full Röhm dedication... Please let me know your thoughts on it, genuine or copy, as the seller is waiting for a definitive resp

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    True...it looks interesting. Definitely in need of more photo closeups.
    Hi Wagriff,

Thank you for your comment, as soon as I get some new photos will post them here...

All my best!

Jose

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sa dagger with full röhm dedication
    P
    Many

Quote by 85ronnies View Post
    Like the guys say it has a chance, but again I agree on full on pics and close up pics, I hope it's a good one for you
    cheers Ronnie
    Hi Ronnie!

Thank you for your nice comment! I hope so...

All my best,

Jose

Quote by davejb View Post
    For what its worth, i think the blade has been ground down, then re etched, look at the far edge of the blade, there appears to be a slight ridge, and i agree with Larry, the blade appears to be washed out lengthways
    Hi Davejb,

I didn't notice that before, maybe you are right, let's wait for some larger photos...

Thank you and all my best,

Jose

Hello everybody!

The seller sent me this afternoon the attached photos on the blade. Let me know please your opinion...

Thank you in advance and regards,

Jose

the observations of Larry and dave seems confirmed...the middle of the blade seems rubbed while the edges much less...Sa dagger with full röhm dedication

Quote by Viriathus View Post
    Hi Lucabrnroma,

Thank you for your reply, what a coincidence, - both us have been offered the same dagger. You are right, the Rohm dedication seem to be crisper than the SA motto, why?? Anyway I think the seller is reliable...

Thank you again and all my best,

Jose
    Discrepancies on the lettering lead me to believe that this dedication was reapplied after comparing another period Wingen type. The logo is correct including the Gruppe mark that designated Rohm daggers to this SA gruppe. The statement made above leaves me uncomfortable with the motto and dedication being opposite depth.
    Thank your seller for the extra photos..they were of great help . The horizontal condition of the reverse blade 9 times out of 10 when we see it with Rohm dagger types always seem to have this rubbed over scratched surfacing. IMO only...something to hide? I also feel you have doubts Jose...if you feel the seller is reliable..then why is this dagger posted?
    This is not an attack on you or the seller..but a common sense statement..begs this question.

To be honest...this is one of these daggers too close to call..and requires an in hand inspection. The area from the tip of the blade for some odd reason is brighter in appearance..than after the Rohm signanture..it becomes darkened..... including the lettering issues I see on the dedication. Full commonly seen Full Rohms like Eickhorn and Ernst Pack..in this condition will start at 7K.

Again IMO only someone must of done their Homework as Anton Wingen Full Rohms are not as common to find. That a authentic Wingen blade was acquired..and a dedication reapplied. Would be worth more to Rohm collectors than 7K. After further study and research..and also what was presented on this thread in photos and in text...observations of any tang markings and billet clamp marks would be beneficial including an in hand inspection..I would walk away and keep that large amount of money in your pocket. Better to walk away disappointed and rich than having empty pockets and an empty promise in your collection. I welcome any other comments or ideas..as I have nothing more to add then what has already been said.

I like the dagger..it has a great fit1 Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

is it possible that it is original and been re-etched,themakers mark is in the right place for a etched dagger.?

Great Question Harry by the time these daggers made it out the production door the first time..Rohm was disposed of..then the order came down to grind off the name..or the whole dedication. Many of these daggers were sent back for a professional grind....and also done personally by the owner. The time period stretch between the dagger production and Rohms death..was a matter of 1 year. None came back and were reapplied. Again..also as stated above the present condition of the blade is questionable. I believe this dagger was a ground Rohm..and some enterpriser decided to reapply a dedication to hump it back up.
    Im hopeful of other eyes..who also knows these dedications and their intracacies..will be able to shed light on something I possibly missed.

Thanks Harry great question which I never heard asked before Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I can only agree with Larry on this one. From the new photos, I am seeing faint traces of the original horizontal grind marks where the original inscription was removed. It is what Lucabrnroma has referred to as "rubbing". It still has bits of it's original crossgraining above and below the central portions of the blade. Someone decided to "restore" the inscription and reapplied it. I do not believe that this was Period done. This is something that I have to say I have never seen done before and it is quite disturbing. It is a very determined and insidious fake, in my professional opinion.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

wargriff has given the right definitions : disturbing and insidious...at least to my inexpert eyes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast