Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sa dagger ground

Article about: hello guys can i get the run down on this most likely fake for the price they asking thank you

Comparing the OP's example to this one, parts wise nothing screams different to me, aside from condition of course, and partially ground motto. I'll half to look at the eagle and SA button more closely. Regards.

My Full SA Rohm

- - ------- - -

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sa dagger ground
    P
    Many

Poorly fitted upper and lower guard....and age and shrinkage can not be included with these early Eickhorn types.

The guards are not the deep cut accent grooves type that are seen on a true Eickhorn dagger. ( See below )

Photo credit WRF member Maximus
    Sa dagger ground

Most gruppe marks are common for most producers and is only a small detail of importance..the next area of study would be the accent grooves ..because the "Ns" Gruppe means nothing in this case.

Look at the poor fit at the top guard..thats just not from taking it apart and reassembling it poorly..thats someone either taking it down and rebuilding it with other fittings to completion.

The scabbard itself appears to be mid to late period...I know you would never want to purchase a Porsche with Toyota parts ..I know it would not be a Porsche ..just look like it on the outside.

They appear real to many of us , but inside there is really nothing there ...why just settle for an answer that it was taken down and reassembled ?
    Sa dagger ground

Hang with me ..Im not losing my mind but making a point

The desirability is not only the aesthetic appeal..but the untouched state which captures our heart knowing that it has been owned once or twice by careful hands. The dagger in the first post has not been carefully taken care of.

What is it in this hobby that we strive for the most? ...which in regards to edged weapons I have answered..but what other details do we seek that could also be applied to why we would only settle for originality.

There are some that have no other choice due to financial restrictions that tye have to settle for 2nd best to own a piece of history like this..and thats fine for them..but foresight can not be lost and must be exercised or we lose sight of everything authentic..and not hollow dummies with false promises.

Last point that I try to show new collectors in this field of study. Do you want an SA dagger the same as this VW van been all around the country having all different parts on it..or a whole untouched example that was carried soley by the SA Man left untouched and cared for until it reaches the next set of deserving hands? I know I do.

Sa dagger ground

These Rohm inscription daggers are a special history and should not be altered. Enterprisers like to build them to turn a buck ..Purists have the sharpest of eyes and see through it all. All Collectors have certain levels of purism when it comes to collecting this stuff..and its healthy to do so..because its your money that your spending ..and none of us here want to give out bad advice and end up spending someone elses money when the daggers end up being dummies.

Im off my soap box now..its been a long time since I stood on one

Keep the thread going Gents..all thoughts and comments welcome

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry for the detailed response! Very well put, and allowing us a scary peek into the mind of a blade collector/connoisseur LOL. JK I've always loved your introspective approach to teaching and explaining things. STAY up on that soapbox! For all to learn as I have learned here today . Best regards.

Brian
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 07-31-2017 at 03:32 AM.

?

Larry
    Thank you for your time and deep opinion
    Asking price is 695 otherwise I would not weste your time Larry ask lot of questions which make sense
    Cross guards are definitely silver nickel
    The handle looks original It has been take apart 100% but all parts feet quite tight
    When comes to scabbard the brown paint is missing in some spots and I can clearly see black base
    It may be SS part
    Thank you
    I was worry about the blade

Sa dagger groundSa dagger ground

Larry one last question if you don't mind. The fit of the grips to the cross guards is evidently poor no debate. But the deep cut accents in the cross guards you referred to are these the ones you were speaking of? I ll leave the visual dating of scabbards questions for later LOL. Thanks again.

Brian

Sa dagger ground

Eickhorn full ground Rohm on Collectors Guild $710 us. For comparison. Kindest regards.

Brian

The Collector's Guild

Sutka..its never a waste of my or anyones time..we are all in this together...ask questions its how we learn.

@ Brian ..yes thats what the grooves are..you can see a visual difference in the depth of the 2 lines per side of the guard.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I am not the OP but thank you for the detailed responses. Great thread for learning.
    John

?

thank you guys learn a lot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2