Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA Dagger Malsch&Ambronn.

Article about: Hi Guys I have bought this dagger. Dagger seems in all parts together and has some old age traces. Fittings have some nice patina and has uncleaned. The anodised scabbard is in very goed con

There are countless producers who have their grip eagles in varied positions..within few milimeters of other producers, as seen in the photo below.

1.Did Malsch produce all their own grips..or just some of them..and the rest sub contracted out?
    2.Were all Pack grips the same in wood and color tone?
    3. How about Haco and their change of cross guard types.
    4.Eickhorn guards were a few types.
    5. SS Runes buttons on a certain few producers used a couple different variations.
    6. Blade mottos also vary by a few milimeters and are accepted by the collecting community...why are we so worried about a Malsch grip when in plain site in this photo below..you can see many varied grip eagle positions !

Do we throw these daggers in the trash because of such variations yet are all period through documentation?
    Would it be tragic that the grip eagle on a Malsch dagger was off by a milimeter? How do we sleep at night ? Lets not forget..all these grips were produced with 1930s in hand technology. "Done by hand"

Before we get out of our tool box..modern day technology and try to measure what was mostly done by "eye and hand" of the 1930s...take into consideration that back then..not all was going to be perfectly assembled. There were small deficiencies in some of the materials and craftmanship. Yes of course there will be these minute variations..but if we are going to live thinking that all what I have outlined above are going to be always consistent all the time without blemish or movement..we are in for a very large disappointment in this hobby which many have given up and sold of their collections because of these little things.

Details do matter in some circumstances...especially in high dollar amounts. Take into consideration first the time period..the craft..the assembly..and also what we see in variances as I outlined above.

I love this hobby and and love the details also..and all of it matters very much. You guys are the best and glad to know you all.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger Malsch&Ambronn.
    P
    Many

?

Larry you are 100% right in your statement, but the problem now a day is that there are too many people think that all what's written in books is the truth.
    Knowledge, common sense and your eyes are the most important things which man can use in collecting.

Cheerio,

Ron

?

Great thread Raf

Here is pix of my M&A SA i owned a few years back

Regards Mac 66.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger Malsch&Ambronn.   SA Dagger Malsch&Ambronn.  

SA Dagger Malsch&Ambronn.   SA Dagger Malsch&Ambronn.  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2