Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Dagger for review

Article about: Hi everyone. I'm looking to possibly purchasing my first SA dagger from a local dealer for 0. I have been doing alot of research but would greatly appreciate any opinions on its authenticity

Default SA Dagger for review

Hi everyone. I'm looking to possibly purchasing my first SA dagger from a local dealer for $600. I have been doing alot of research but would greatly appreciate any opinions on its authenticity and condition. It appears to be an early marker marked SA dagger by Christianswerk Solingen. It is gau marked Nrh. All the fittings between the handle and the nickel crossguards seem tight to me. The roundel and the eagle seem in tight with no real chipping. The scabbard seems to be the anodized brown with nickel fittings. The motto seems etched deep in the blade but does not have any of the black left. My only real concern is that I could not see any crossgrain on the blade. Would this be a sign that the blade has been cleaned or polished? If so how does this affect value? Again I’m very new to the edge weapons category, so I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger for review   SA Dagger for review  

SA Dagger for review   SA Dagger for review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger for review
    P
    Many

Looks authentic-nothing replaced or messed with parts wise. An early piece with quality manufacturing. Under enlargement, there are traces of the crossgraining. The blade has, as you've noted, been cleaned sometime in the past . And, yes-it would, of course, affect the value for many who seek untouched daggers. Who cleaned it? Probably the GI that brought it back-no one ever thought of Not polishing them up to make them shine back then. $600? This would be above what I would value it at.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Looks OK, would be even better the right way around in the scabbard. My pet hate!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi this dagger looks good to me too. $600 dollar is a reasonable price for a dagger with a cleaned blade.
    Also GAU NRH match with this Maker. But as Adrian says put the dagger at the right way in the scabbard

Regards Rafael

?

Genuine early SA dagger but as mentioned the blade has been cleaned !

if you really got to have it offer the guy $485, if he refuses hit back with $500, if he refuses that offer walk away & save your cash for a better conditioned SA with a lovely full crossgrain blade > a keeper to cherish !!

JMO.

Mac 66.

Great middle of the road in rarity dagger ... the blade is everything first on the dagger in value..all other details in the fittings will follow. An Over cleaned blade will physically erase the fine lines of the crossgraining. That in itself $$$ begin to fall off the dagger in condition lowering collectability. Yet your dagger is all early period and original ..and would make a great 1st time SA Dagger for the beginner.

The SA Gruppemark "Nrh" ( Niederhein ) seen on the lower reverse guard is a very commonly found SA Gruppe for this dagger in the region of Germany it served in.
    Which brings me to the $600 price tag. Not worth that IMO..but its within reason $550.....if you want to add an SA dagger to your collection as a first time piece and your heart is set on it..I would say go for it.

also below are a couple of reputable dealers you can compare pricing and condition. If your looking for early SAs.check out these guys.

Lakesidetrader | German WWII Daggers & Medals
    www.wwiidagers.com

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-23-2018 at 12:32 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Great middle of the road in rarity dagger ... the blade is everything first on the dagger in value..all other details in the fittings will follow. An Over cleaned blade will physically erase the fine lines of the crossgraining. That in itself $$$ begin to fall off the dagger in condition lowering collectability. Yet your dagger is all early period and original ..and would make a great 1st time SA Dagger for the beginner.

The SA Gruppemark "Nrh" ( Niederhein ) seen on the lower reverse guard is a very commonly found SA Gruppe for this dagger in the region of Germany it served in.
    Which brings me to the $600 price tag. Not worth that IMO..but its within reason $550.....if you want to add an SA dagger to your collection as a first time piece and your heart is set on it..I would say go for it.

also below are a couple of reputable dealers you can compare pricing and condition. If your looking for early SAs.check out these guys.

Lakesidetrader | German WWII Daggers & Medals
    www.wwiidagers.com
    Meda Militaria Home

Regards Larry
    Sound and practical advice !!
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Thanks everyone for the replies. Honestly I'm just looking for a decent priced SA dagger to display in my collection. I know early marker marked seem to be more collectable and in turn have a higher value. But I'm not really looking at the resale value as this will probably be in my collection for the rest of my life. Do u guys think maybe a Rzm dagger would be a better first time option for me? Seems that you can kinda get more bang for your buck so to speak as far as condition. Thanks again!!

?

Weren't most of these controlled by the RZM anyway ?? Albeit not always marked that way ??? G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Quote by MStinnett View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Honestly I'm just looking for a decent priced SA dagger to display in my collection. I know early marker marked seem to be more collectable and in turn have a higher value. But I'm not really looking at the resale value as this will probably be in my collection for the rest of my life. Do u guys think maybe a Rzm dagger would be a better first time option for me? Seems that you can kinda get more bang for your buck so to speak as far as condition. Thanks again!!

iF you can find a minty RZM SA with full plating left on the crossguards & scabbard fittings for around $600 it would be a great addition to your collection, personally i prefer an early SA with solid nickle fittings & a quality made maker marked blade, take your time in buying the dagger you want, look for the best conditioned for your cash limit.

Mac 66.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast