Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??

Article about: Hi Guys, I'm out of my comfort zone with these, but have been asked to give an opinion on it to a prospective UK buyer currently based in the Balkans where this has cropped up. Therefore I w

Default SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??

Hi Guys,

I'm out of my comfort zone with these, but have been asked to give an opinion on it to a prospective UK buyer currently based in the Balkans where this has cropped up. Therefore I was wondering if the dagger chaps could take a look at it and give their opinions on it as it stands. These mixed bag of pic's are all that are available. Apparently the vendor is under the illusion it's worth £1500, I've told the prospective buyer this is somewhat ambitious! All opinions are appreciated! Pic's are right way up when clicked on.

Regards, Ned.

SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger By Robert Giersch - Can I Get Some Info On It Please??
    P
    Many

I have no issues with this dagger Ned.
    Nice 1933 nickel model, annodised scabbard so textbook.
    Top nut looks unturned.
    Shoulders of the grip meet the inner edges of the crossguard nice.
    Etching dates would correspond with the time period.
    £1500 seems a little wide, probably £600 or thereabouts would be better but I cant see the guy shifting that much!

Hi Ned..a middle of the road in rarity producer...despite the flash it appears to be in decent condition. I cant say much for the engraving as the flash makes it appear new..but for that price..from what i can see in a dollar conversion of about $1600..this dagger is not worth that price..regardless of the engraving being authentic or not. To be fair in price..including condition it would be about half what the seller is asking for. The blade has some issues with condition..which in all cases ..is a deal breaker or maker..depending the depth of ones pockets. I like this dagger but not enough to pay what their asking for..and not enough to include in it my collection. Thats just me...yet it mayfit well into anothers collection just starting out..but for a lower asking price. Hope this helps Regards Larry

agreed with Mattty..dagger is authentic..but overly priced. The engraving....not sure of as I said before.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Only thing is it doesn't look like its got much of a gau mark on the crossguard......?

An authentic early Robert Giersch SA with some unusual personalization-apparently someone gave the Brown Shirt a Dagger for Christmas in 1934? Unfortunately, the sheath is in low condition and the blade shows considerable problems as well. £1500 comes up to about $2325 in US dollars and is an absurd amount for this dagger in the condition that it's in. It lacks even a simple 1 piece hanger. In my opinion, this piece should be selling for, perhaps, a quarter of the asking price.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Ned, "chipping in here" in an area I have no real knowledge, but I used to own one of these Nickel SA daggers( not the same maker) and this one looks fine to me. The only issue I would have is the engraving as most original personalisation I have seen has just been the "mans" SA number. Matty01 (Matt) here does know his daggers though, he will "correct me" as I know he has a nice collection! Leon

Good original item, but not worth the asking price.

There is a SA Gruppe mark (not Gau) to the rear crossguard if you look closely.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks for all the good input chaps! Can anybody tell what outfit he was in according to the dedication and where it was based, I've got nowhere trying to track it down as it's not really my forte I'm afraid.....

Regards,Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Yes you are right there Leon about the SA serial numbers on the crossguard/top scabbard fitting. Not overly common, but a nice feature even although the numbers cannot be traced.

The engraving to me looks fine - looks hand done and would correspond with date the dagger would have been produced. However, that's not to say somebody didn't do there homework before adding the etching on.
    IMO the etching doesn't and wouldnt add any value to the dagger, so this would raise a question as to why somebody would add it?

But would have to agree with the others Ned, I too think that the price is the biggest hic-cup here.

My advice would be to have a little word with Andrew Gates, he's here in the UK, and will find you something as good as this for around £600.
    The other guy with some nice SA daggers is Stewart from 'the old brigade' - may be worth a look.

Best mattty

looks a nice original dagger but too much money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast