Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Sa dagger with Totenkopf

Article about: Good evening, Can you please help me to find if this dagger is real or not ? It has a nailed totenkopf on it's handle. The dagger is in good shape, but i think that the blade has been heavil

CKM
    ?

Default Sa dagger with Totenkopf

Good evening,

Can you please help me to find if this dagger is real or not ? It has a nailed totenkopf on it's handle. The dagger is in good shape, but i think that the blade has been heavily cleaned.

Thank you for your help !
    Best regards
    Charles
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sa dagger with Totenkopf   Sa dagger with Totenkopf  

Sa dagger with Totenkopf   Sa dagger with Totenkopf  

Sa dagger with Totenkopf  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sa dagger with Totenkopf
    P
    Many

Hello welcome to the forum. The blade itself is good imo. The crossguards and handle may of been replaced. The fit while not terrible is not indicitave quality of an early production pre rzm piece. Also the lower crossguard should be gruppe marked. I do think they are all period pieces but not original as an assembly. The TK real or not would detract from the value of the dagger which would already be diminished as a parted together item. However I'd love to hear others opinions and would also love to see pictures of the whole grip with TK and eagle included. Kindest regards.

Brian

CKM
    ?

Thank for your answer ! The lower crossgard is marked WF, we can see it on the last picture but it’s very little !

CKM
    ?

I posted the totenkopf here : Totenkopf on SA dagger handle

Best regards
    Charles

Hello Charles the skull is highly detailed and quite possibly original. And placed very nicely within the grip. It's possibly a vet modification. But the question is when and by whom? To a dagger collector it would diminish it's value. If it had provenance to a vet and done in theater as trench art then the curiosity value would be significant. I'm fairly certain that maker of the dagger is on the rare side as it's not commonly seen. As a whole it requires further discussion but it s very interesting to say the least. Looking forward to more input but I like it. Best regards.

Brian

?

To me its very easy, a total make over with a grip that doesnt belong to the guards.
    another grip ruined, a shame, has nothing to do with period enhancement.

Ger