Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dagger without Gau mark

Article about: Hi, I have found a SA Dagger (for sale) on the internet. The maker is Gebr.Heller, and it's not an RZM dagger. But there is no Gau Mark on it. Isn't that strange, since it isn't a RZM dagger

Default SA Dagger without Gau mark

Hi,

I have found a SA Dagger (for sale) on the internet.
    The maker is Gebr.Heller, and it's not an RZM dagger.

But there is no Gau Mark on it.
    Isn't that strange, since it isn't a RZM dagger?

Rgds
    Chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger without Gau mark
    P
    Many

link? pics? etc?

Hi Chris.....Not strange but a collector rarity. There are a few possible scenarios to be attached to this daggers missing gruppe mark.
    1. the dagger itself was an overage in the local Gau districts order
    2. Possibly the SA man that was supposed to receive it was transferred..or passed away.
    3. It is possible it was distributed and the guy performing the non spectacular task of die punching the lower crossguard forgot to do it.
    4. This also could be an immediate post war put together..with period parts.
    5. It has a late period crossguard fitting

What is important though is to see photos of the lower crossguard to see what kind of crossguard it is on the dagger itself..ranging from early to late period. SA collectors all know that.. mid period and late period were supposed to be unmarked so there is also a possibility of that happening also.
    If and when possible if you can get a few pics that would be helpful. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I found the dagger on the House of History - Kai Winkler.
    You need to be registered to see the pics on the website, but here are some "screen photos",
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger without Gau mark   SA Dagger without Gau mark  

SA Dagger without Gau mark  

Mid to late period crossguards..Grip looks mid period..so if the blade is early as you say..then this dagger is mismatched parts dagger. But possibly assembled during the period to make production quota. It is important to collect these type of daggers as a whole if possible with all the same period fittings. This holds a higher value. Scabbard photos would be a plus to see. For me personally..not one for my collection. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Here are 2 more pics, where you can see the blade with "Gebr.Heller".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger without Gau mark   SA Dagger without Gau mark  

looks to me that the grip has been re worked (badly) where it meets the top crossguard, as Larry says not one to add to your collection
    cheers Ronnie

?

Agree, mismatching partsdagger

Ger

Two things struck me with this dagger,
    1) the grip seemed to be in very good condition compared to the rest
    2) the lack of Gau mark