Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SA dagger with wood damage.

Article about: No pics, just a question. I see some daggers with small wood problems such as stress cracks or small chips by the guard and repaired. What does that do to the price if everything else checks

?

To be completely honest, with the dagger being a late war RZM and having a chipped grip I would pass at any price, but that's just me. Is there anything special or unusual about this dagger that makes it so desirable? Late war SA daggers (i.e. "RZM" daggers) can be found in great condition these days relatively cheap. Not knowing what the seller is asking for this dagger it is impossible to say whether or not you're getting a good deal, but I would personally save your money for an example without a chipped grip.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA dagger with wood damage.
    P
    Many

A rule of thumb is, generally, never buy a damaged item or one with missing or fake parts. The value of it will never increase and it will always be an undesirable item. Certainly not worth spending decent money on, no matter how tempting it might be.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

$416. Scabbard is very nice and matches dagger, blade is very good, fittings 90% finish left.

I would be reluctant to give $300 for a late RZM SA with damage repairs like that if it were me, even if a person could convince me it's worth more. There are too many really nice non-RZM daggers for me to want it.

Honestly, I would recommend you keep looking for a non-RZM dagger and wait for a quality piece that will thrill you. Use the time to save and peruse the wares that have been posted here over the years. You will not regret waiting in the end. Be sure to keep posting potential candidates here before buying. The quality of assistance on this forum is without compare, and these guys love to help people who have an honest desire to touch and learn history.

Great advice given above.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I'm not sure I hate it and have given the seller a lower purchase price. No go for now. I just want a wartime example all matching at a lower price point. Seller says in real it doesn't show as bad as that close up pic. I know these RZM are not as desirable as early ones. Thanks

Comes with a good condition well marked hanger. Blade dated 1941. Am able to return also.

Quote by WW2headgearlover View Post
    Seller says in real it doesn't show as bad as that close up pic.
    A seller would say that wouldn't they? That, coupled with the inability to take a decent quality shot of the damaged area would have me walking away, low price or not.

?

...have given the seller a lower purchase price. No go for now. I just want a wartime example all matching at a lower price point.
    The asking price you mentioned ($416), which appears to be the price the seller is sticking to, is out of the question for this dagger in my opinion. I don't need to see the blade or the scabbard, or better photos of the damage to make this call. Frankly put, you would be throwing your money into a well, never to be seen again.

Seller says in real it doesn't show as bad as that close up pic.
    In my experience I would agree with the seller on this. When you use a flash on a camera to take close up photos like the seller has done you cause harsh highlights and shadows that typically do not accurately reflect the true appearance of the damage. It amplifies it. Having said that, you're at the mercy of the seller to do as you ask and take photos outside in the direct daylight WITHOUT the flash.

I know these RZM are not as desirable as early ones.
    Not only are late war RZM SA daggers "not as desirable", they do not hold their value (generally speaking). This is an important point to make because if you're willing to spend $415 on this dagger, which I assume you were before posting on this forum, then why not add $100 or so to that budget and get yourself an early SA dagger while the prices are fair (which they are at the moment)? Even if this means you have to save up for a few months.

Comes with a good condition well marked hanger. Blade dated 1941. Am able to return also.
    The hanger makes absolutely no difference to the value or desirability in my experience. As for the seller telling you that you're able to return it, don't count on that being true. Always assume that your money is gone once the transaction is complete. I'm not saying the seller is not trustworthy, that's impossible for me to know, but as a general rule if it is a private party sale (I'm assuming you're not buying this from a reputable dealer) then never trust that you can return it for a full refund simply based on a promise.

Thank you. One area I disagree with is any TR original item has value from every level of condition to someone, from ground dug to total mint. Money will not be thrown away forever.

Eg. This sold recently, $150 Euro attic find.

SA dagger with wood damage.

Another example years ago. A relic SA 70 yr old lake find sold same $150 Euro. When I was buying the Luft 2's, I was told on one item don't pay over $300 for it, sold for $425. All original but a mismatch or parts dagger. To some it's throwing away money to others it's not.

This dagger is ok but small damage, I want to pay relative to the damage. That close up with flash shows so much that is not there. No cracks or white lines just distortion. I have bought from seller before he is trusted.

Hangers are worth something and give extra to the value, maybe not as much as if parted out.

But at $415 I agree is high compared to other collector to collector deals, but not by dealer prices.

?

One area I disagree with is any TR original item has value from every level of condition to someone, from ground dug to total mint. Money will not be thrown away forever.
    Just to be clear, I don't think anyone here has suggested that TR items of certain levels or condition don't have ANY value. Unless I missed something you're drawing links where none were made. I for one completely agree with your statement, 100% that original TR items, regardless of condition, have value to someone. The focus of this thread, and the comments made, have been related to the specific SA dagger that you presented, not ground dug items or otherwise.

In the end you're obviously free to do what you choose. You posted asking a question and the fine folks here answered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast