Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please

Article about: Close ops : Scabbard

Default SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please

Hello,
    This my RMZ M7/66 1938. I bought it in Prague in 1994.

I believe it to be authentic, and in very good to excellent condition, but I would like some knowledgeable opinions

The cross guards appear to be Nickel-silver, not plate

The Grip is finely detailed and very smooth furniture quality, with no pry marks around either emblem and overall very good fitment of emblems and cross-gaurds. I would guess it is hand finished. It has a ding above the cross-guard visible in photo below. The corner where it meets cross guard also has a repaired blemish that you must magnify to see.

The fitment in all spots seems to be quite good

The Blade has a good sheen, & is finger print free. I would call it Excellent condition -some cross grain marks can be seen. It does have some wear marks from the scabbard. The tip and fit are both perfect. The RMZ mark is clear, as is the M7/66 and the year, 1938. The stamping is very clear and crisp. Eickhorn's Maker's mark- which consists of the squirrel & sword, Eickhorn's name and the city, Solingen, sits just 1/8" above the cross guard and is beautifully executed.

The Eagle appears to be Nickel-silver

The SA emblem is intact and in very good condition

The Scabbard is Black Painted as for NSKK. It is dent free and has all screws undisturbed. There is minor oxidization on front side of scabbard near tip. There are a a few very small paint dings, but need a magnifying glass to see them. The tip ball is clean, round and undamaged. Scabbard hardware appears to be Nickel-silver and in excellent shape, other than aforementioned.

The overall appearance is excellent. This is a very respectable and impressive show piece- with all blemishes needing magnification to detect.

I am interested in your feedback as to value. I am in a position where I am considering selling it and want to get some opinions. I can provide more detail photos here -email-pm if you need to make a better assement

Thanks in advance for your help on this everyone.

SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please
    Last edited by Offshore1V; 03-06-2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please
    P
    Many

Default re: SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please

Your post reads more like a sales pitch than someone seeking advice...

Rob

The blade looks to have been vigorously cleaned or polished
    as there is nothing left in the recesses of the
    etched motto.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Steve, thanks for your response.
    I agree with your assessment about it being polished at some point - but this is the condition in which I got it. I've alternately stored it or displayed for the last 18 years. I did not polish it, but the blade is quite shiny- I looked at several different websites before I posted here looking for opinions. I could not find a 1938 m7/66 anywhere. The cross grain that's mentioned by lakeside is view-able in some spots, but overall is pretty faint. It has the rub marks from the scabbard, and that appears to blur the steel some but overall its shiny. What does that mean as far as folks on here (collectors) are concerned ? Do the other attributes of the dagger matter- specific year, materials of the cross guard, double marks, no gruppe code on the cross gaurd, etc - or is the fact that it's was probably polished at some point the most significant thing?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The blade looks to have been vigorously cleaned or polished
    as there is nothing left in the recesses of the
    etched motto.........

The eagle and the roundel look to have both been replaced. There are considerable gaps around them in the wood-particularly around the eagles head and legs and it sits unevenly in the grip,as does the roundel. The lower guard does not appear to fit well either-it has considerable spacing between the grip base edges and the guards and the blade where it passes through the guard has a unusually large opening gap also-it looks like you could put your fingernail into it. And,has been said earlier, there is no sign of crossgraining to the blade-it has apparently been heavily polished.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

All these factors are going to affect the value somewhat. A polished blade or unusual
    features can be similar to a piece of refinished antique furniture with replaced
    hardware - Some guys won't care, but others want untouched/uncleaned
    items. Subjective really.

I also noticed small marks around the SA roundel and uneven eagle. The scabbard
    body is so clean, it may have been repainted. I do not see any cross-graining
    either - it's likely someone took a buffing wheel to it - probably to remove
    pitting, staining and/or rust.

I suppose it really comes down to what you want to get out of it. If you price it
    low it should sell quickly, if you price it too high, it may not sell.
    Naturally, most collectors are after the best item possible
    for the least price.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-06-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

There is noticeable pitting around the blade shoulders and with the blade being polished,, it would decrease the value greatly. I agree with Wagriff and Walkwolf that there are some messed with issues with the grip. The SA roundel being picked at sends an alarm! The grip wood IMO is normally seen with Late RZM examples. Eickhorn made some decent transitional daggers and the wood quality was better. If at all possible I would like to see the top and bottom of the grip for tang hole clearance. Although on some examples,, it is normal to see "gapping" on mid to late RZMs,, but I dont think this grip belongs to this dagger as it looks thinner than most Eickhorn grips and the eagle sits higher up than normal. There are some variances with grip eagle placement on SA daggers but for Eickhorns only,, I am not used to seeing this. Regards Larry

Thanks for all your feedback, I will post more & hopefully better photos today. I am not sure if I want to sell it or not- it does have great sentimental value to me and a low price would not warrant giving it away. That being said, I am interested in getting as much info as possible from folks who have seen a whole bunch of these daggers, as this one I have is my only experience with them. I literally bought it as a young man because I thought it was cool. I still think it's quite cool, and it has always been a source of conversation when I display it. It was not until yesterday when I found your forum and other sites that I had any idea how much info there was out there on these. When I bought it in 94' all I could tell you about it was that it was an SA Dagger from 1938. After studying various sites yesterday I could at least begin to speak your language, but I still have questions.
    1) How can you tell what material Eagle is ?
    2) The cross-guards appear to be "solid" not plated, but how would I tell for sure ?
    3) I'll post better pics of the blade, & I would like ya'll to educate me about "grading" it so I can speak more accurately about its history & condition.
    4) I think the scabbard is a factory or period repaint but not sure- once I post better pics- feedback on how to tell on that would be appreciated, too.

So please, more comments and feed back are welcome- whether positive or negative, knowledge is power !
    Thanks
    David

Close -ups: Blade

SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please

Closeups: Grip & Hilt

SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast