Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please

Article about: Close ops : Scabbard

Default re: SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please

Close ops : Scabbard

SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help pleaseSA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dienstdolch 1938 Eickhorn Transitional- feedback & help please
    P
    Many

This could very well be a parts dagger, and likely is.
    It would be a NSKK, not an SA as the scabbard is black. It has been apart, which you can tell by the tang nut with vise grip marks on it. The blade has been heavily cleaned to remove rust and pitting. It has also been lightly sharpened on the one edge. The dagger fittings are solid nickel silver and the scaggard fittings are plated as is very possible and probable on a trasnsitional. The eagle is aluminum and the roundel has been replaced. The handle has been refinished and a laquer or other finish applied. The poor fit of the scabbard to the hilt fitting would indicate that this dagger and scabbard probably did not leave the factory together. Also, the fit of the handle to the hilt and pommel fittings is not what we would expect to see on a dagger that has not been taken apart and, or, parts changed.
    Sorry if it sounds bad, but it is not really.
    You just have to accept the fact that you own a dagger like many others that has been through a lot since it was manufactured.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph,
    That makes sense. I researched around for a day or so and ran into "parts daggers" on other websites- Makes a lot of sense really. I too saw the marks on the nut and photographed them for the folks here, to really get an under the microscope opinion. Without magnification, this dagger shows great. As I said above- it's still very cool to me- memory of a little stall in Prague, just post Soviet pullout, and I did not go out to find it as a collector- I stumbled across it as a student of history - (I have several history degrees) - after a negotiation where the seller came down - I am certain I am not upside down in it. It still remains a great memory and a "treasure found" for me on my only tour of Germany & the Czech Republic.

Would you or (anyone else?) be so kind as to guess the value ? I realize this is not an appraisal and I won't hold anyone too it- I am just curious what it might be worth today. I have decided over the last couple days that of the things I have to sell- (I am ill & out of work) - This won't be one of them. Had I some sort of wildly rare dagger- (chained- or and "un-ground") I might consider it- but for what I might get for this one- It's much more valuable to me because of the personal and authentic history it represents. Definitely will be keeping- along with all the research I did on it & others like it, for my daughter or grandchildren.
    Thanks
    David
    Quote by rbminis View Post
    This could very well be a parts dagger, and likely is.
    It would be a NSKK, not an SA as the scabbard is black. It has been apart, which you can tell by the tang nut with vise grip marks on it. The blade has been heavily cleaned to remove rust and pitting. It has also been lightly sharpened on the one edge. The dagger fittings are solid nickel silver and the scaggard fittings are plated as is very possible and probable on a trasnsitional. The eagle is aluminum and the roundel has been replaced. The handle has been refinished and a laquer or other finish applied. The poor fit of the scabbard to the hilt fitting would indicate that this dagger and scabbard probably did not leave the factory together. Also, the fit of the handle to the hilt and pommel fittings is not what we would expect to see on a dagger that has not been taken apart and, or, parts changed.
    Sorry if it sounds bad, but it is not really.
    You just have to accept the fact that you own a dagger like many others that has been through a lot since it was manufactured.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.

Hello David, and welcome to this fine forum!
    I only own one of these and one SA, but were I in the market for one, I would not really look for one in this condition. I would not be willing to pay more than $250. to $350. for one like this.
    If I am wrong, others will correct me.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Cool, Thanks Ralph

Yup....about $300 average,I'd say.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thats sounds about right, I was going to say $200-$300 but it sounds so low its almost an insult. Unfortunately thats all its worth.

As you say, the sentimental value is worth much more so I think keeping it is a good idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2