Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn

Article about: Hi Guys got given this in return for doing a bit of plumbing , Early SA all nickle fittings By Ernst Pack & Sohn With Gruppe markings for Sachsen , Common i know but in my opinion a good

Got the Dolch apart and found some markings, will try & get the grip x-rayed tomorrow that could be interesting. Cheers Paul
    SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn
    P
    Many

The grip wood looks oddly like stained and varnished Pine...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The Guards are Eickhorn...the tang marking is correct for Pack being an "A" in a circle and a number 5...the grip is authentic..but recently reworked on the tang clearance holes. I see on the grip..that it shows some worn areas that have no lacquer or lightly worn away. I know this is not a Pack Grip and it came from some other source..but yet all the fittings that were commented on are authentic except the grip eagle. So I would deem this a parts dagger which the "Sa" Gruppe mark caught my attention..which was not common for a Pack dagger to have that designation.

You still got a decent payment for plumbing with all early mixed producer fittings.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Have you ever run across a grip with such coarse graining to the wood, Larry? Pretty much every one I've ever seen,owned or handled was made of a hard wood like a fruit wood, but the look of This wood, like I said, almost resembles Pine. Would a factory grip set the roundel button so far off center? It's hard to imagine, but who knows on a bad day, I suppose. The staining on it too, is very thin and I can't imagine it lasting for very long with handling and wear contact without showing through. The half diamond down by the lower crossguard stands out to the extreme and again doesn't look very encouraging. But, as you said, for a parts dagger, it's more than adequate to display. Nothing to invest decent price into but an actually well put together post-war rig.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

1 thing is sure: this grip has had a redone, the sanding machine has been used extensively and it took a bite of the grip, more then it good chew, completely distroying the center ridge on the front.
    Perhaps that explains why it has a different eagle set, maybe the machine took a bite of the eagle too.....
    One will never know.....

Ger

Has anyone noticed the tang nut itself? ..which may explain why the clearance hole on the top of the grip wood is enlarged? This tang nut is a recent copy..made to fit to complete a lock down onto the grip and crossguard. William comment.." Resembles pine"...which it may...but viewed in the photos below..the other physical points of interest shows exactly what is to be expected once the upper and lower grip is exposed after decades of pressure.

Pressure marks on the out lip of the grip..and also a white mold build up. The Mortiser clamp marks used to hold the grip in place. The wood itself..resembles more of a pinkish tome rather what would be expected to be seen if it were pine. I dont doubt certain wood grains..but the left side of the bottom of the grip had been sanded down at some point exposing the color of the wood.

The top of the grip shows exactly the porous unsanded appearance in the majority of grips commonly seen. Someone took a period grip from where ever..which cold of been a European walnut or pear..which in some instances do show a larger running grain. I am not sure of this particular grip being this type of wood yet the details i pointed out above supports what is recognized of being a grip from the TR period. The stain and especially the flooded use of the lacquer has altered much of a wood identification. The sanding on the bottom speaks differently.

Regards Larry

SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Since this dagger is already apart ..a photo of the tang nut may shed some light on why the clearance hole is larger than normal.

Anyone see why the bottom of the grip WAS sanded on one side?

SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn >>>> SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-15-2015 at 02:53 AM.

A few more pictures just to clear this up Gentlemen. The X-ray shows that the eagle is only attached by a short prong ,its my belief that 2 prongs hold on originals that are bent back inside the tang recess. incidently there appears to be a couple of holes in the tang recess suggesting that Larry may be right about it being a reworked original grip (can't picture these unfortunatly) the two blobs left & right of the x-ray are blu tac used to hold the grip up ,also the SA button.

SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn

Also find attached pics of the tang nut with measurements.

SA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & SohnSA Dienstdolch by E Pack & Sohn

Incidentally people i would like to thank again all the guys who have contributed to this thread, So the Dolch is a bitsa but with the help of the experts on this forum i have learned so much from it Cheers Paul

WOW ...I would say that dagger has been opened more than can be counted. If this was an Oak tree, I would count the rings in the wood and say 80 times . Great thread of study and discussion Gents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2