Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?

Article about: Hello I wonder if anyone can help. Do you know if CD Schaaf of Solingen ever made Rhom SA daggers? Thanks John

Default SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?

Hello
    I wonder if anyone can help.
    Do you know if CD Schaaf of Solingen ever made Rhom SA daggers?
    Thanks
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?
    P
    Many

Hi John.. below is a link to a Rohm Thread ..that will list to date all SA dedication producers.

June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern

CD Schaaf does not appear and is not a known producer that was contracted to apply these honor type daggers.
    if you have a Pic of the one you are inquiring about..please post it. We would like to see it.

Regards Larry

Thread moved to SA dagger forum
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry
    Thanks for your reply.
    I haven't got any photos unfortunately.
    If I do get some I'll post them.
    Thanks again,
    John

Hi
    Got some photos of dagger in question.
    They were emailed to me, not the best!
    What do you think?
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?   SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?  

SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?   SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?  

Hi Flint...you are correct..they are not the best photos. Did the seller run out of digital colored ink ..as he only sent you Black and whites? Thats my greatest gripe !!

I like the dagger itself from what I can see having all early fit construction. I cant get past the black and whites..or the washed out blade reverse.

Show us a close up of the etch .... very close up !! ..... or this may be just another humped up dagger.

MUCH better photos and color ones !! ....lets see if we can get past the smoke and mirrors of black and white photos. I am very open to any out of the woodwork possibilities ..as we have seen things arise in the past for the first time.

The dedication itself is flat in some areas..and will not go into detail where its flat..but a comparison with other etched examples should be obvious in the minute details.
    Better photos..Bring it on !

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

John, I mirror Larry's comments completely. You simply can't make any accurate judgement call based on the photos you provided, especially with them being in black and white. If you don't have the dagger in your possession, and are relying on someone else to take them on your behalf, copy the following paragraph into an email and shoot it off to the owner. If they return better photos, please post them and I'm sure you'll get more replies. On the other hand, if you're the one shooting the photos then follow these instructions yourself...

Please take the dagger outside into the direct daylight, even if it is overcast, remove the dagger from the scabbard and lay them side-by-side. With the camera set to "color" (not black and white), shoot photos of the entire length of the first side (the side with the eagle on the grip). Make sure and get the full dagger and scabbard in the photo. While still on the first side, shoot clear (focused) close up photos of the entire handle area as well. Once done, flip both the dagger and scabbard over to the other side (the side with no emblems in the grip) and repeat the same photos as the first side. While still on this side, shoot several (4-5) close up photos showing the engraved script on the blade, varying the camera's angle with each photo (make sure these photos are clear and crisp - if not, reshoot them). Finally, place the dagger back into the scabbard fully (so the mouth of the scabbard is flush with the bottom of the grip) and shoot a photo showing the entire length of the dagger.
    These are the "key" photos that you really need of this particular dagger and should get you some more feedback.

Good luck!

Sorry guys can't get any more photos.
    I guess that's the end of this thread!
    Thanks all
    John

?

Hi John. Based on your last comment I'm going to assume you don't have possession of the dagger which is a real bummer. Frankly, in my experience there are two reasons why someone would not be willing/able to provide the requested photos:

1. He/she is hiding something
    2. They are not familiar with digital cameras/camera phones

Since they were skilled enough to provide you with black and white photos it shows they're at least familiar enough with the settings on their camera to change it to B&W, so I think that leaves us with #1. Rest easy knowing you didn't lose your money on what appears to be a potentially dangerous opportunity.

Hi All
    Got some more photos.
    Any comments?
    Thanks
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?   SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?  

SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?   SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?  

SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?  

Thankyou Flint for your efforts on helping the forum identify critical details.

Ok before we get started we know in this hobby anything is possible and even first timer appearances never seen before artifacts from this time period. The clearer photos have sown much more detail than the original black and whites.......
    The verdict ? .....NO !! ....This etch has been seen around and found on near perfect repros.

1. The blade being worn on the reverse showing a crisp and nicely darkened etch.....sorry not at the same time

2. The etch script ..which does not come close on some key points of the blade...which can be compared to examples found here on the WRF..and also the Fellows over on the GDC " German Daggers Community "..who have a sub forum for Rohm daggers.
    June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern

On a few commonly found Rohm producers and a minute handful of obscure will show under a very careful and studious eye the same script characteristics ...yet for the advanced collectors of these types will notice just a "glint" difference on certain points.
    This etch doesnt even come close.

3. The dagger has been opened..which will also surface many other questions of being a parts dagger. Although the fittings ...all are authentic..the trauma exhibited around the grip eagle leaves me to think otherwise.

4. Schaaf is not a Rohm Producer outside of the dedication under study ..this early producer is rated as a rare #10 on the Mc Saar list which by itself minus the inscription
    might command a dagger value of 1k or more depending upon condition......Bummer...not anymore..and would not be worth anymore than $200 for the dagger alone due to history heinously defaced. A rare producer molested created to being a slave to greed,. exposed and left to die

My end thought and findings that the dagger is original Schaaf but opened and applied a bogus motto. Thankyou Flint for Starting this thread...welcome also are other thoughts and opinions. Regards Larry

Below is an excellent SS Eickhorn example belonging to WRF member Wagner.

SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ? SA Rohm dagger - CD Schaaf ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast