Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salty SA Dagger

Article about: Caution,, not for the purist. So i was after a cheap and here is what i got,, pitted, chipped and generally battered but i hope original,, my limited knowledge tells me it is an early one fr

Default Salty SA Dagger

Caution,, not for the purist.
    So i was after a cheap and here is what i got,, pitted, chipped and generally battered but i hope original,,
    my limited knowledge tells me it is an early one from a pretty common maker,, please view and advise,,if anyone can tell roughly what year it was made that would be great,, and any signs of replacement parts used.
    Every old scruffy dog deserves a home, this now has one.
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Salty SA Dagger
    P
    Many

like it got character.

Thanks,, certainly been through the wars so to speak,, does not look as it has been in a scabbard for many years,,, i`d just like to know it is authentic.

Hi GW...Parted dagger at its worst for an Aesulap.
    Study WRF member Maximus ,,dagger in his thread here > My early SA has arrived!!

The grip , guards , tangnut ( which has been opened ) do not belong with each other at all..the fit is very poor. The Guards are not period at all..show little definition and barely any accent grooving.
    Some of it may be authentic..namingly the grip and blade..not sure if the belong as Aesculap grips no matter the harsh conditions of decades gone by always seem to retain some amount of original laquer.

Maximus example ..is a perfect comparison.

Great White..there are better examples to be had..and only if your looking for a conversation piece..that I would not pay more than $20 for. Sorry to lay the bad news on you. Cheers Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Bugger???? ah well live and learn but as you say a conversation piece non the less.

?

GW it Always should be study before spending.....it realy saves a lot.
    Larry said it all.......at least you got something to talk about.......

Ger

Hi Ger,, i did say in my first line not for the purist,, i knew it was not mint and for the price it was never going to be,,
    it is mis matched like lots of others i just wanted to know if it or its pieces are genuine,, i guess the grip and blade are but not sure about the cross guards now,, until i rid myself of my mortgage it will have to do.
    Steve,,
    ps i did show pictures of this under another thread,, SA type dagger,, seemed ok then.

Ok guys i have stripped this frankenstein down in hope to identify were some of the parts may have come from,, the guards have no external marks, some faded inside but pitted making them hard to read,, also noted the grooves look hand finished in places,, if nothing i hope this thread will be a learning tool for others.
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger
    Salty SA Dagger

HI GW ... These are Guards I have never seen these type of markings before..which appear as " E L " ....... EW is common..but EL ..never seen before. The casting done on these guards are very poor..and thinning to one side. Also there is no SA Gruppe mark on the reverse guard. Not sure if they are SA , SS crossguards..or just mold rejects..yet they do appear to be period.

The grip is not Aesculap ..the Mortising on the lower part of the grip is a bit off center...purists will argue.. " fake " but not the case..as all these parts were crafted by hand and the use of a lathe. Cant be perfect all the time..and the pressure marks left on the grip from the guards are as expected.

Aesculap Gaurds are normally seen with the PA marking for Piel and Adey... ( Generic ) which are widely seen on many daggers..and sometimes shared with producers who have their own markings

The Tang is correct and remains unmarked. Other than that..as I said above but with more of a break down..this dagger is still Parts. Thanks GW for providing more photos > Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry,, i will put it all back together now,,,as you have said before it is a good conversation piece if nothing else,, cross guards are a little weird as they seem to decay from the inside,, i could try to clean them a little to reveal the markings better,, all in all you get what you pay for and that is what i have,, thank you for your time and knowledge ,, i will seek advice for my next piece.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast