Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Strange etch on SA dagger

Article about: Hi all...i saw this Sa dagger with this etched dedication on the reverse...isn't strange that the blade is in so bad conditions that also the MM is illegible while the etch is so clear?? man

Default Strange etch on SA dagger

Hi all...i saw this Sa dagger with this etched dedication on the reverse...isn't strange that the blade is in so bad conditions that also the MM is illegible while the etch is so clear??
    many thanks
    Luca
    Strange etch on SA daggerStrange etch on SA daggerStrange etch on SA dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange etch on SA dagger
    P
    Many

it might be an engraving.

?

The blade is horrible IMO no cross grain what so ever... Looks like plain steel or worse... Just my two cents... Curious what others have to add.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Looks as if the producers logo had been obliterated...oddly the name on the dedication rings a bell. Im trying to imagine a Dr. being an SA seargent when most if not all highly educated individuals would have had an express pass to a higher rank....or into the hierarchy of the SS. The dagger itself has seen its better days.

I can only see that this Dr may have been attached to the SA as such....and was given this dagger out of Comradeship as the blade implies. In the condition the dagger is in..with or without the dedication...I dont see it being worth much. The inscription matches the condition of the blade..but I sure as Hell would like to see if there was a producers logo..and why it was removed..as it is not in the way of the dedication at all. It almost by the photos the logo was ground out. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The conditions of the blade seems quite a dig found and repolished...it seems strange to me that the conditions of the engraving is still so good...may be it has been added after..but who can tell?
    many thanks

I agree lucarnroma, the actual engraving looks like it had been re rubbed to make it look better,
    condition of etch is not consistent to the rest of the blade. IMO

I think there is a very faint makers mark somewhere in there, I do see a Gau mark, I've been squinting my eyes at it for 5 minutes now, need a better close up photo of that area, hard to capture it with glare, flash, or bad lighting. something like this needs a in hand inspection before buying, unless its realllllllly cheap.

What would be My immediate concern, is to Why the blade exhibits such dramatic and total pitting and exposure, but the grip is in perfect condition and the sheath aside from some minor surface rust speckling looks to be solid. The pommel nut is mysteriously not shown either. Is this a normal run of the mill SA that has been taken apart and it's blade substituted with a pre-aged "personalized"(aka more expensive and desirable)blade? The inscription in question does not, for the most part, have any discoloration or corrosion IN the letters. I would wonder, IF it had been overly cleaned to show and make the wording more legible, just what method did they use to do it-one that did not overly affect any of the surrounding blade surfaces. It would not be one that I would want, in any case.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Looks as if the producers logo had been obliterated...oddly the name on the dedication rings a bell............................. Regards Larry
    The etch seems strangely familiar to me also, but not one that one that I remember tracking. That said, it's not in hand, but it also seems to be similar in some respects to some pictures of a "beater" (poor) condition period HJ knife that I have. A knife that some postwar faker used as a test piece for his "Party Day" etching as seen on the small aluminum hilted so-called "DJ" knives. With that example still fresh, whereas this one seems to have very likely been further processed to some extent to try and make it look older. Best Regards, Fred