Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts and opinions on this SA (or NSKK?) dagger?

Article about: Happened onto this by chance... seller says it's an NSKK, but to me the brown scabbard look like an SA? Anyway, here are the pics, not the greatest (not mine obviously ;-) but maybe good eno

Default Thoughts and opinions on this SA (or NSKK?) dagger?

Happened onto this by chance... seller says it's an NSKK, but to me the brown scabbard look like an SA?

Anyway, here are the pics, not the greatest (not mine obviously ;-) but maybe good enough to tell a few things about this?

Your help appreciated, I may get this if it checks out, and what's a fair price for this?

Ohhhh, my poor achin' wallet!

Last edited by Doppelgänger; 04-26-2013 at 01:17 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts and opinions on this SA (or NSKK?) dagger?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Thoughts and opinions on this SA (or NSKK?) dagger?

It is a W.K.C. (Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Co.) SA Dagger. As you said, the scabbard is brown, making it SA, not NSKK. The blade appears to have been cleaned, either that or there is some sort of oxidation going on. The leather hanger looks different from the ones I have seen but I am not as familiar with them.

I'd say the blade looks like it's in need of a wipe down with some WD or similar? It's looks like tarnish turning to very light rust?

Is this more desirable than an NSKK with repainted scabbard?

The hanger is supposedly Overhoff & Cie (?)

It looks like a pretty decent piece to me, except for a gap between the hilt and the blade (or is that a reflection?).

Would I be getting hurt at four hundred fifty USD?

But more importantly, does it look 100% correct?

?

I guess desirability would depend on what you personally like as a collector. I have heard that NSKK's are more desirable though. I also noticed the "gap", not sure if it is one or just reflection. Again, I can't give accurate info on the hanger as I am not familiar with them and I don't want to say yes or no as I do not know myself. 450 seems like the top of the mark for me personally. So no, you would not be getting burned, but you'd probably be at the top of the price range, especially if that space between the cross guard and the blade is actually present and not just a reflection.

I'd probably have an SA rather than an NSKK, but I can hold out for a better one, although I've seen a lot higher asking prices, and I'm not wiling to spend a fortune on one of these.

?

Well with asking prices those can be the moon. People can ask whatever they want, they might not get it but they can certainly ask. I would try to get the seller down a little bit, but 450 isn't bad.

Good eyes Kieth,,as you are correct about the blade shoulder to crossguard fit. Half Decent Late RZM SA but IMO not for that price in the condition its in. The silvering on the eagle is gone and possibly the scabbard is a repaint. I cant tell by the photos and of course I can see a major difference in photo quality between yours and these photos.
    The blade is decent as there is crossgrain visible and may be in need of some TLC with soaking it in a light oil for as the rust and smudging looks topical. Try to barter with the seller for a lower price. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thx Larry ;-)

I'll probably pass on it, but I was tempted. I can't stand to see something that might need a little help like that, like an orphan... but if the scabbard was a repaint, total deal breaker for me.

Shame about the blade condition, but I could live with it if the price was right.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

The hanger is ok, typically of these hangers is the missing piece of the circle in the RZM stamp.
    Otherwise a half decent late war production SA dagger.
    Cheers,
    Ger