Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do I have here?

Article about: *I also have a forum in the cloth headwear section about a hat that was found along with this dagger: Recently my grandfather was diagnosed with dementia after being hospitalized for another

Default What do I have here?

*I also have a forum in the cloth headwear section about a hat that was found along with this dagger:

Recently my grandfather was diagnosed with dementia after being hospitalized for another ailment and it is setting in quite quickly (he's 90 now) so we've been forced to prepare for an estate sale to help with the nursing home costs. He was in the Battle of the Bulge, where he earned a Purple Heart. Today I was going through some drawers and found 2 hidden militaria items, 1 being this dagger, and the other a cloth cap/hat. Both are in near immaculate condition...

I am curious to know the worth, though I am not inclined to sell these - just curious. I'd also love to know ANY info I can get on them, as I basically know nothing about it at this point. Thanks so much! Pics below:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What do I have here?   What do I have here?  

What do I have here?   What do I have here?  

What do I have here?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do I have here?
    P
    Many

Default Re: What do I have here?

This is known as a 'ground Rohm' SA dagger. It is in average, or slightly less
    condition, but the fact that it once had an dedication etched on it will raise
    it's value. The dedications on SA daggers were ordered removed after
    Ernst Rohm was liquidated/murdered. (The way to tell is how the
    stamped logo is so close to the guard)

I believe it has 'NrH' stamped on the lower guard,
    which is for Neiderheim.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hello,
    I have saw your cap; it is a beautiful one, in very good condition!
    What you have here is a SA or NSKK dagger. The color of the sheath is rather hard to distinct by these pic's.(black or brown.)
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    This is known as a 'ground Rohm' SA dagger. It is in average, or slightly less
    condition, but the fact that it once had an dedication etched on it will raise
    it's value. The dedications on SA daggers were ordered removed after
    Ernst Rohm was liquidated/murdered. (The way to tell is how the
    stamped logo is so close to the guard)

I believe it has 'NrH' stamped on the lower guard,
    which is for Neiderheim.........
    I believe Steve has pretty much nailed it.
    Not great condition, but nice being a ground Rohm.
    JMHO
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks everyone! I'm wondering what part of this puts it in the 'slightly less' or 'average' condition category, whether its the condition of the sheath or the blade. Incidentally after looking at the photos I took it might look like the blade is rusting or oxidized, but its just the reflection it was picking up in the room. The blade itself has very little wear, and is otherwise consistently shiny. Also, thank you for the info on the stamp, I could not decipher what the letters were on my own, even when coming across a guide online.

When I was looking up the daggers yesterday I found that there were 2 categories indicated by the sheath, one was black, one wood (or brown) - I've been inspecting it since then and while it does look slightly brown in the crevasses, overall it just looks like the same metallic finish throughout that entire piece - is that possible? The brown in the crevasse looks like it's more from age than the remnants of a previous finish.

Thanks!

Here is a thread on my SA dagger. There are some good photos posted by me and others. It also shows a comparison with an NSKK as well.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/sa-di...d-sohn-163619/
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Munstre,, welcome to the forum...You have a very nice conditioned Ground Rohm dagger as mentioned by "Walkwolf". Everything on your dagger is correct and the Crossguards are typical of this maker. Very Nice. Your scabbard is Brown Anodized for this early period but it is normal to see it thin out. Later period scabbards were painted. I would put the worth,, upon this condition,, around $700-800 US. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Wanted to thank everyone for their help on the info here. I was able to visit with my grandfather at the nursing home yesterday and brought these items with me to ask him about. When I took them out of the bag he laughed and said "ohhh, the kraut hat!", and then told me he "grabbed the dagger off one of them". The hat was given to him in trade for some other items he had with an old friend some years after the war.

Nice dagger.

Nice cap and dagger friend. Dementia is a nasty condition, I was caring for my grandmother who suffered from the same. Difficult work. It's nice how things from long ago are still fresh in their mind though. Seeing the cap and dagger probably brought back strong memories for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast