Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!

Article about: its all been said.

Default Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!

I walked the Max show floor for hours and going back over the same aisles and tables..always seeing something different. The most important thing for me..is to have some kind of focus before going to a show like this..or anyone will just buy anything for the sake of buying it. Not a good idea..IMO. I always wanted a Wilhelm Kober for my SA collection..as it has the low step type crossguards,..the lowest of all SA makers..where the grip appears to be sitting on top of the crossguard compared to others that sit low sunken in the guards ..1/8-1/4 inch depth.
    When I search……it is a hunting / fishing expedition…coming across many desirable other types of daggers and just putting them back down..because I know what it is I came to the show for in the first place. I ran across a few Kober SAs during my search only to put them down also……in my heart,,it wasn’t the right one……..I came upon Bill Sheas ( Ruptured Duck ) table…again as I have passed it before and looked…but this time..there was a dagger there that wasnt there before. This shoots to hell the theory that dealer setup day is the only day anyone can get good finds. During those 3 days..One does not know who walks in off the street and has something to sell..as I have an SS dagger with a very rare vertical hanger that I bought back in 1994 Maxshow..on a late Saturday afternoon.
    The Kober I saw at Bill Shea`s table caught my attention as the grip was some thing to behold. Closer inspection revealed a strap wrapped around the upper crossguard..which is a remnant of a vertical hanger..and no carrying ring. The crossguard fit to the grip was tight..including the tight fit of how the crossguard sat on the upper scabbard fitting with no gaps. I found my dagger!!!!!......................BUT..and I like big buts ………..to my surprise when I pulled the dagger out of the scabbard….beautiful crossgraining all the way down to the tip and a beautifully executed dark burnishing remained in the motto. …( the dagger is uncleaned in the photos )…………..I looked at the reverse side of the blade and again to my surprise….included was visual remnants of a Rohm Inscription. The name is gone except for a few little tick marks of the name but……”Im herlicher k” is still visible through the grinding. I was not expecting a Rohm dagger and especially from Wilhelm Kober!!....right then and there..I knew in my heart this was the one. The Hunt was over…and the New Moon which fell on the 4th of October…paid off as a month prior I was foretold of this prophecy of luck on the new moon. …ridiculously from a fortune cookie message. ( See photo) I found this dagger on Oct 4.
    This Renegade producer IMO dared to be different..aside from all the other SA producers..except Haenel of Suhl..Sauer..and Haco..which chose to look appealing in a different kind of way. I also included a side by side photo..Of my Kober and a Pfeilringwerk grip. Noticeably the lower grip shoulders vary in width..Kober being larger than most other producers.
    A side by side photo to show the large difference in crossguard depth between the Kober SA on the left and an August Kulenburg SA on the right. Included also is a hap hazzardly Gruppe mark "He" application which is correct for this maker.
    Below are my photos of a great find for me..as its all about the hunt..first..and not Impulse.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!   Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!  

Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!   Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!  

Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!   Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!
    P
    Many

a few more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!   Wilhelm Kober early SA...Max show find!  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry,

If I didn't know any better I would think this was less of a description of the dagger and more of a love story!

The dagger is beautiful, and the the remains of the Rohm inscription really add a thing of beauty to the piece. The beauty of these early daggers really leaves their transitional and late-war counterparts in the wind.

Congratulations on your pick up!

Nice pick-up Larry. Good things come to those who wait - Lol.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Now there is a beauty, for sure! I love the coloration of the grip wood-it almost looks as if the former owner had a habit of holding the grip constantly while standing or walking. It shows as well on the grip eagle! You can see where the edge of his clenched hand rubbed on the wood beneath the roundel. The grinding job seems to have been done horizontally rather than the usual vertical too. Definitely a unique piece! You're still drawing breath, so I'll assume the price did not induce a cardiac! That was, indeed, a good "fortune" that you chose to eat Chinese for dinner that day!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thx for showing Larry!

never seen a Ground Rohm Kober before
    They have indeed the lowest step ive seen sofar.
    Lovely kinda blonde grip with a nice inlayed Eagle, ive encountered 2 different type's of Eagles so far.
    Yours and the high neck type like Herder SA used.
    Nice addition to your collection.
    Thx for showing!

Cheers,
    Ger

I walked the Max show floor for hours and ..............
    The most important thing for me..is to have some kind of focus before going to a show like this..or anyone will just buy anything for the sake of buying it. Not a good idea..IMO. I always wanted......
    I can't .....still so much on my list, that I always get home with something, when the price is right!!!!!!!
    …again as I have passed it before and looked…but this time..there was a dagger there that wasnt there before. This shoots to hell the theory that dealer setup day is the only day anyone can get good finds. During those 3 days..One does not know who walks in off the street and has something to sell..as I have an SS dagger with a very rare vertical hanger that I bought back in 1994 Maxshow..on a late Saturday afternoon.
    So true! And that could happen for so many reasons!
    When I am out on big fair grounds for antiques, I always walk the paths in opposite directions, twice(!) and it always reveals new items.
    Good catch and thanks for shearing.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well done, very nice indeed!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I'm glad that you found this and it's nice to see that you added it to your collection. I would like to thank you for showing and explaining a little about this dagger to me at the Max. I really appreciate it, Larry! Awesome find, congratulations!

Luke

?

Hi Larry,

Your long search at the Max has been well worth it

Ive never came across a Kober with Rohm inscription so yours has got to be scarce !

Its a lovely quality made piece, Congrats

Regards Mac 66.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast