MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension

Article about: Hi All, I though I’d share my Chained SS with you all ..... This Dagger is the Jewel in my collection, and eventually when I sell my collection to fund my old age..... this will be the last

Default 1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension

Hi All,
    I though I’d share my Chained SS with you all ..... This Dagger is the Jewel in my collection, and eventually when I sell my collection to fund my old age..... this will be the last to go.
    As you can see in the pictures the dagger has been left to mature nicely, the screws and the tang nut have never been turned.
    The Scabbard has age spidering, and the Chains are solid nickel-silver, and as you can see are the nice dark burnished look.
    The blade has the usual Scabbard marks, but still a lot of crossgrain evident, and the Motto is really dark and crisp.
    Plain Blade and not District marked as you’d like to see.
    The Portepee is the long thin cord, with a slightly smaller ball .... tied correctly for this pattern dagger.
    I’ve pictured alongside my other SS to compare Motto’s and the way the SS Roundel has stayed at 12:00 compared to the other one which is more 14:00 .... The other. Dagger by the way is a Gottlieb Hammesfahr.
    Hope you all enjoy, and I appreciate comments as usual.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension   1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension  

1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension   1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension  

1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension   1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1936 SS Chained Dagger - Type B1 Chain Suspension
    P
    Many

Stunning example,, Great patina and great photos..

I am off to Church this morning to ask for forgiveness.... "Thou shalt not covet"....

Impressive dagger and quite understandable that you would want to keep this until the last possible moments..

I have been struggling with selling my entire collection for some time now and I have to start but it is a tough decision as to what goes first...

Smitty

?

What a fantastic example … I don't think I could ever part with it , that will be a tough decision !!
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Beautiful piece, congratulations!

Thanks all .... yes it will be a tough shout when it has to go as it took years to find a decent one.

That's a lovely old couple! Interesting to see the differences in the depth of the etching of the motto. My Hammesfahr also seems to have quite deep etching but with low color, while your M36 appears to have shallower etching but darker?

Martin

Nice untouched example Stevade
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

It is a matter of how much of the burnishing remains in the motto; they were all originally burnished (although some makers used more/darker burnishing). Generally, the deeper etches will hold the burnishing better, but often it is just a matter of how many times/how hard the blade has been wiped down/cleaned and or weathered. Burnishing is often a good indicator of how "untouched" the blade is.

Very Nice!! I especially like the untouched look of the chainset as compared to some of the "tarted up" (over polished/reworked) examples that some of the dealers have been selling in recent years. That's even harder to evaluate now because some are doing re-darkening of the mottos and the chainsets. Best Regards, Fred

Many thanks all for your comments, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast