Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr

Article about: Wargriff the sheath has not been repainted. Ron

?

Default 1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr

Probably a rare SS dagger made by Gottlieb Hammesfahr 3th Model with Nickel eagle. The bright blade looks great. The acid etched “RZM M7/67 1940 SS” maker mark and “Meine Ehre heisst Treue” motto are both beautifully executed. The crossgrain on the blade looks stunning. The tip comes to a nice point and the blade / crossguard fit is perfect. The blade rates near mint / mint. The black painted scabbard contains about 98% of its original paint and remains completely dent free. The scabbard fittings have some minor oxidation at the lower right side. All four screws remain untouched. The ball has no dents. The scabbard / crossguard fit is perfect and closes with a snap! The nickel plated crossguards are looking great and have some wear. The black hardwood grip looks excellent it shows use and that’s it. The solid nickel (Neusilber) eagle is beautifully detailed with a perfect fit. The SS roundel retains 97% of its enamel, has a nice bright shine as it sits perfectly in the grip.

1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr
    Last edited by Ron K; 01-14-2014 at 07:26 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr
    P
    Many

Hi Ron thanks for posting this dagger when I get home tonight I'm going to dig into the history of this maker and the RZM number it was assigned right now that number is not looking too good. What I'm seeing is M.7 / 6.7 there are no makers that used a point system between their numbers. This is the first for me and many others I'm sure to see this type of numbering... It is not common for this to appear like this. Late RZM did not have the dual logo of RZM and the SS runes. Again I am going to dig into this. Other comments and opinions are welcomed. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Reads like an advert if you ask me is this for sale?
    Anyway, I don't know whats with the decimal point I wouldn't be happy with it.
    Cant say Im overly enthusiastic about the gap in the crossguard either, certainly not the usual quality we see from gottlieb hammesfahr.
    I would also have liked to have seen the spine go through the center of the rzm circle.
    I hate to break it to you Ron but your blade concerns me.
    matty

Cor
    ?

Allmost the same dagger:

Look

An RZM Marked WWII German SS Dagger

The comma between the 6,7 is a spot/stain

Hi Gents...Ok...I went into some of my reference..it it seems that 9 makers ( M.7 / 3.... 5..7..8..40..52..62..67..and 94..all of which used a single decimal point between the "M" and 7.

Comparing 3 photos..Rons dagger photo..and 2 logos from my reference library. The first one being an SA RZM code and the other an SS code also like that of Rons dagger.

Sometimes when collecting and studying..there are times we seem to miss the minute details....and usually they matter most. I have no issues with the Logo or the blade...but the tang clearance fit is not the best...most likely the sign of the times when dagger were quickly assembled..without regards to fit. Regards Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images 1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr  1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr  1940 SS-Dagger by Gotlieb Hammesfahr 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Matty I used and changed the text from another SS dagger who was for sale, and everything is for sale . The blade is correct and in Near mint to mint condition but it's the quality of the pictures I have made who are doing the blade no good, and that gap in ther cross guard is not as big as you think.

Cor that's a good find and ypu noticed it well, the dot between the 6 and 7 is an minor stain. And it could be confussing if you see this at a picture.

Larry thanks good find. I have also some information about this dagger. We checked every detail including the motto there is a difference with some other makers in the ß from Heißt. The tang fitting clearance has have some space but it looks hughe at the picture.
    All those tiny differences are just the fun part of collecting.

Regards,
    Ron

?

Thanks for posting Ron!

Matty it certainly reads like an advert, hahahaha , but what else can be said, most be his roots, He's Dutch
    They have a great history of salesmen

I have seen 3 similar M.7/67 SS daggers so far.
    All have exactly the same blade logo's as this one.
    I compared grips, scabbard and blade and sofar all 3 examples from the 1940 batch are true look a likes.
    I have np with this dagger being an genuine SS dagger.

Ger

?

Yeah right Gerrit in the early days we did slaves and spices and now we try to do in daggers hahaha

Looks fine to me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Nothing more to add.....a genuine Hammesfahr in original condition....no red flags that I can see. The crossguard gap is just a sign of the slipping of quality production in wartime, in my opinion. The only question I would have, is has the sheath been repainted? It looks almost too perfect, if that makes any sense...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast