Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Authenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS Dagger

Article about: Hello, I've been reading up a lot on various Third Reich daggers trying to learn about assessing their authenticity as I am hoping to start my own collection of some of these dirks. As part

Default Authenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS Dagger

Hello,

I've been reading up a lot on various Third Reich daggers trying to learn about assessing their authenticity as I am hoping to start my own collection of some of these dirks. As part of the process, I wanted to examine features of my father's daggers to see what I was able to tell from them and how assessing them went. In doing so, however, I have come up with a couple questions about his chained SS dagger that I hoped to get feedback on.

This chained SS dagger was acquired in the Czech Republic at a flee market nearly 20 years ago. Based on what I have learned so far, the RZM Code on it (M7/80) signifies that it was produced by Gustav C. Spitzer and the “1197/38 SS” below is the SS Dienstdolch Contract Code, which is also to Gustav Spitzer, and signifies that the contract was in 1938. The handle appears to me to have good, tight connections with the upper and lower cross guards, and the blade has a good, tight connection with the lower cross guard. I don’t see any indications that either the eagle and roundel have been removed/replaced either (although the eagle is brighter than the other components). While there is a chip in the wood where the handle and cross guard meets it doesn't seem to be too bad. This to me suggests that this is not a parts dagger and each component was original to the piece.

My concern with the piece, however, is the scabbard/chain. Obviously this dagger is supposed to be a model 1936 dagger with the chain, however the center ramp appears to be wrong (it lacks the linked swastika design and the single screw is in an odd spot for just having the one), the Wotans Knot appears to be backwards with regard to which branches overlap the other, the Totenkopf shapes seem wrong, and the chain links appear to lack proof marks. I also have not found photographs of a single 1936 Model SS dagger by Gustav Spitzer, but have seen a number of 1933 Models with the same Dienstdolch code.

So, my assessment is that this is likely a genuine model 1933 dagger, but with a fake chain and ramps added to the scabbard. Before I break the news to him, however, is anyone willing to add their thoughts on it and my assessment? Am I on the right track or have I missed something?

Thanks!

Chris

Authenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS DaggerAuthenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS DaggerAuthenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS DaggerAuthenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS DaggerAuthenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS DaggerAuthenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS DaggerAuthenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS DaggerAuthenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authenticity of RZM M7/80 (Gustav Spitzer) SS Dagger
    P
    Many

IMO, the pitting on the blade near the maker's mark kills it for this one.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

HI Chris ..you studied very well and pretty much nailed the conclusions on the details of this dagger and Chain assembly.

I liked your post only for the fact that you researched in detail .
    The dagger is a mix bag of repro and some authentic fittings.

Anything coming from the Czech Republic has to be closely scrutinized and that fault comes from the rampant fakers there that destroys the reputation of authenticity.
    If there is anything that actually has been totally authentic coming from there ..the percentage is very very low.

I applaud your research efforts

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Textbook Czech manufactured chain dagger...............

Thanks very much for the replies and confirmations. I also appreciate the encouragement on my research efforts.

For my own additional knowledge, what are your thoughts on the eagle? Does the eagle appear original to the dagger, or does this appear to be a replacement as well?

Thanks again for weighing in and letting me know what you think.

Chris

In the photo quality the grip eagle appears original to the grip..yet the runes button is authentic ..just not original to the grip.
    Too much stress surrounding the circumference of the runes button.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry,

Interesting, I had not caught on to that, but I see what you're saying. Thanks again for all the help and input!

Chris