Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.

Article about: My grandfather Served in the navy during WW2 and gave me this dagger shortly before he died about 13 years ago. It has been in my gun safe ever since. He said he received it in trade for som

Default Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.

My grandfather Served in the navy during WW2 and gave me this dagger shortly before he died about 13 years ago. It has been in my gun safe ever since. He said he received it in trade for something during the war. I have no reason to doubt that it is real or that he brought it home with him. He never did say what he gave in exchange for it. Does anyone have any input on it? does it hold much value?

Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.]Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chained SS dagger, My grandfather claimed to have traded for in WW2.
    P
    Many

Hello AS ..glad you made it here

There is no doubt that it is authentic. Im liking what I see ..loving the patina .
    The crossguard fit to the scabbard is tight.
    Minimal paint chipping on scabbard.

Now here comes the big +
    You have an initial production Type A

there are 4 Types > Chained SS Study of the 4 Chain types

Read through that link when you get a chance...but your Type A differs from the other 3 types. Take avery close look into the Nasal cavity of the tab skull.
    You will see a septum. That little slit of vertical bone can not be found in the later Initial production Type B1 ...Nor on the Mid period Type B2 and later Production TypeC

Your Type A in its present awesome condition is highly sought after by SS dagger collectors..all because of that little piece of bone.
    1936 was the beginning of the production and your example that your grandfather has acquired has made and seen history of this time period.
    I would encourage you to hold onto it as it was a bring back from your garndfather.

Take notice of how the scabbard left a ring around beneath the lower fitting ..meaning its never been pulled out too much.
    Sadly the tip of the blade is nipped off ..but being a Type A and the history of the original owner covers over that minute discrepancy.

Little chunk of wood missing on the grip..but not heinous. Everything is all there to be expected on a Type A.
    Congrats and thankyou for sharing

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Very nice indeed.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I've received two offers to purchase this dagger now one was close to a price that I would be willing to let it go for the other I feel like I they might have been trying to take advantage of someone that doesn't necessarily know what they have. Is there a reputable and honest place to be able to get an estimate of value on line?

Also thank you very much Larry C. for taking the time to give me the information in your reply.

?

Thats a lovely type A, i would keep it in honour of your dad.
    If you sell it get the right price i gave you a pm

Best
    Ger

TWS
    ?

Quote by assininehick View Post
    I've received two offers to purchase this dagger now one was close to a price that I would be willing to let it go for the other I feel like I they might have been trying to take advantage of someone that doesn't necessarily know what they have. Is there a reputable and honest place to be able to get an estimate of value on line?
    If you don't have a good idea of the market value you may not know if they were trying to low ball you or not, unless it was obvious like "I'll give you $200 for it".
    Many older collectors that used to run newspaper ads to try and purchase direct from veterans or their families would often acquire items at bargain prices, but they all had stories of people who showed up not having a clue what they had, but thinking it was worth a fortune. So lack of knowledge on the part of the seller cut both ways.

Btw, I don't collect SS and I'm not trying to criticize you, just playing devils advocate.

I would advise looking at dealer sites and then figuring that collector to collector pricing is often 20-30% lower. Or, you could offer it to dealers and see what they come back with, but they are going to leave themselves a good margin.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Lovely dagger.

I would echo what is said above. This is a family heirloom. While we do collect these items, when we are confronted with events like this, our advice is to always try and keep it in the family. Once gone...it is gone for good.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I do not collect blades nor SS ephemera, but I would shudder to think that someone would part with such an item acquired by their grandfather. In honor of all he experienced during the war, that piece stands in representation. To me, no amount of fiat currency that is intrinsically worthless could be offered to make me part with it. However, to each their own.
    A very fine blade and chain. Thanks for sharing!