Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Chained SS dagger opinions

Article about: This dagger was bought back in the early 80's. it was originally missing the chain.the dagger and the chained scabbard(with the square link only) were together,but rest of the chain links we

Default Re: Chained SS dagger opinions

Plenty of examples here on Bill Shea's site, both types one and two of the chain, some plated, some blackened. Also note the difference in the top two links of the type one and two chains, the former straight, the latter bevelled.

Edged Weapons and Accessories Daggers

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chained SS dagger opinions
    P
    Many

I would like to add some additional info to supplement what Ned has posted.

The Type 1 and 2 designations are, of course, collectors terminology. These were applied many years ago now. Much is this has now passed into collector folklore and is a bit out of date. The "type 2" actually came out first which can be misleading to the new collector.

The big differences are the design of the skull and the design proof mark on the reverse of the chain. There is also a much rarer newer designated "type 3" skull desgn link, of which I am very fortunate to own on my now well known Dr.Lolling dagger.

There are also variations to the design of Wotan's knot and the centre ramp fittings.

I will take some pics to illustrate these points.

Cheers, Ade.

OK, first off here are the two different styles of Wotan's knot. Note the shape of the holes which the chain links passes through, one style is circular, while the other style is pear shaped.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chained SS dagger opinions   Chained SS dagger opinions  

Proof marks. Note the different angled shape to the runic design.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chained SS dagger opinions   Chained SS dagger opinions  

Here we have the rare "type three" skull seen here on the right (compared to the "type two" on the left) note the septum or split in the nose.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chained SS dagger opinions  

Another detail are the two different styles of interlocked swastika centre ramp fitting. Single or double retaining screw. But if you look closer the design is slightly different too with different shape and angles.

Of course, as already mentioned, scabbards can be the so called "anodised" ( more correctly a blued finish ) or a black enamel painted finsh.

Photo of the "type one" skull, seen here on the right. Pic credit to my friend Skip as I don't own a type one chained dagger. Note the shape of the skull and the plain crossed bones with no detail to the ball joints. Also the slots for the chain links are more squared off.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chained SS dagger opinions  

Great ! thanks Ned and Adrian! I got an opportunity to check out the other chained SS in the first pic,the unmarked one. I am amazed I did not ever notice the difference between the two chains. never thought there was ever an issue because the one bad chain had what seemed to be a correct mark. I will post the second dagger in this thread to see what you guys think. but,I think you guys will like the next one!

well here is the other unmarked chain SS. so what do you guys think of this one?

and now a close up of the fake chain

To piggyback what Bruce Petrin said on the topic, I also believe there is a so-called Type 3 chain which has some subtle feature regarding the skull that's different. The septum maybe? I think the Type 3 also has an extra screw on the center scabbard fitting & an anodized scabbard finish. Oddly enough I had one of these 10 years ago & flipped it because I didn't like the condition which was nice enough but not good enough for my taste. From what I understand they are quite scarce & can bring a premium with the right SS collector, if only I knew then what I know now.

ADDENDUM, I must have missed the 2nd page of this thread, seems I'm repeating Ade, sorry!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast