Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Chained SS dagger in wear

Article about: Hallo guys, I recently acquired this interesting photo. As you can see there is an Enlisted Man, SS-Rottenführer if see it right, that has a chained dagger on his lap. I know these were norm

Here's the translation:

"The Head of the SS-Hauptamt

No. 15: Re.: SS Service Dagger with new-model suspension.

The
    Reichsführer-SS has authorized the SS service dagger with new-model suspension. It is designated SS service dagger 1936. From now on, the old-model service dagger is designated SS service dagger 1933. Authorized to wear the SS service dagger 1936 is every SS member who is an SS-Mann within the meaning of the order 'The Reichsführer-SS / Journal No. A/9434 of 9th November 1935'. The units are to pay the strictest attention to compliance with this order.

From now on, the SS service dagger 1933 in the dagger hanger shall only be worn for marches past, parades and exercises as well as on occasions in which the troops are moving out in full marching order. Officers** wear the SS service dagger 1936 for these occasions as well. On all other occasions, the SS service dagger 1936 is worn from a loop** on the belt or suspended from underneath the left pocket flap by means of a ring or an under-the-tunic belt with a clip-on fitting as per the existing regulations. With the SS mess dress, only the SS dagger 1936 may be worn, namely from underneath the tunic. (See
    SS-Befehlsblatt no. 5 of 25th May 1936, section 4 paragraph 2.)

Distribution of the SS service dagger 1936 is exclusively undertaken by the
    Verwaltungsamt-SS. The price for the complete dagger is 12.15 Reichsmarks. Units from the Sturmbann level up submit collective orders over the required SS service daggers 1936 on the 1st of each month directly to the Verwaltungsamt-SS. Delivery and billing is solely undertaken to these units placing the orders. The invoices are to be paid by the units to the Verwaltungsamt-SS within 8 weeks starting with the date of the invoice. Private orders by SS members are not proceeded and will not be answered.

Shipping costs are to be borne by the units; costs for packaging are borne by the
    Verwaltungsamt-SS.

Delivery will be undertaken in the sequence in which the orders have arrived and depending on supply by the manufacturers
    ."

*) The text specifically refers to "ausgetretene Führer. Normally, "ausgetreten" means "resigned from"/"former"/"detached", but this does not seem to make sense here. My gut feeling is that has a different specific meaning in the (para-)military terminology of the time (perhaps referring to a special position in a march formation), but could find no reference to it.
    **) "Ringschleife" = literallly "ring loop", i.e. the leather belt loop with an attached metal ring

Notice that it is clear from this order that the dagger was not formally bestowed like an award.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 01-20-2017 at 05:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chained SS dagger in wear
    P
    Many

HPL, you raise an interesting point. I had presumed that this referred to officers in the Stammabteilung.

Many thanks for the info!
    Especially to HPL for the translation and his notes on the subject. Very interesting piece of information.

regards, Job

?

at the end of war, my uncle,, mess sgt. took a Red Cross Officer dagger from a Luft pvt.,,, I still have it

Hi Colt ..the forum would like to see it..but please post it in the general dagger forum.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2