Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Chained SS type B1

Article about: Hi guys. I saw this dagger and would like to have it discussed here. At first sight it looks like it should be. Is there something wrong with this dagger that I'm not seeing? Imo a fine type

?

I received the dagger couple of days ago. It looks even better in hand then on the pictures of the seller.
    Offcourse I made lots of new and better pictures.
    In the pictures of the seller you could have seen that the upper connectors to the Wotanknot were turned.
    So, I managed to place them back in the correct position. Looks much better now.
    What is cool on the dagger, is the patina of the crossguards. They have that nice yellowish color.
    Very interesting aswell is the fact that the dagger was never openend imo. No any damage at the upperscrew.

The blade does have a few spots on it but it retains it's crossgrinding for about 99% because of the fact the runnermarks are visible aswell.

The scabbard retains it's original paint for 99% and shows a little bit spidering.

I am very glad that I bought this piece.

Displaypictures will follow. Thanks for watching.

Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1Chained SS type B1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chained SS type B1
    P
    Many

?

As expected. A straight forward Type A M36.

?

And considering the early construction of this particular type of chain assembly ( which was very short lived I might add) the burnishing has held up better than some others, that I've viewed and owned in the past.

?

Beauty Krisse

Glad it work out ok for you in the end

Congrats

Regards Mac 66.

?

Thanks guys. I had a good feeling from in the beginning.
    In the first pictures I had from the seller it was not visible that it was a type A.
    That's why the title of this topic says: B1
    So when the seller had sent more and clearer pics of the chain and I saw that septum, I was even more excited. (for obvious reasons) :-)

Food for thought: this specific variety of chain dagger, the so called Type A, which is a nickel dagger and chain with the variation septum Tk's and other slight variations, is the only type of dagger seen with what some call a "gothic" script motto. There are others, like that here, that do not exhibit such motto etch. So, we've either got (1) multiple makers, (2) one maker using different templates over different periods or over the same period, (3) or different makers using different templates over different periods or one period. Will we ever know? Absent documentation which never seems to come up on these, likely not. But such details are one fun part of the hobby.

?

There are so very few Type A's with the Gothic script Meine Ehre heist Treue motto blades, these etches were most likely rare prototypes. The case and point on this is, Witty doesn't have an example in his reference, nor does Ralf. And in the collecting community even today, they are seldom, if ever seen.

But in reference to a maker that used 2 different motto etches on their early SS 33's, we know this to be a fact.

These photos are 200% better ..and I take back what I said about the skulls being non conforming. The quality of photos can make or break authenticity or a deal. Patience in waiting for better photos pays off. A lesson to be learned.

Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Maybe someday we will find more information on the background of chained SS daggers development and production and determine who made them! Doubt we'll ever know more about this specific etch though, a mystery to say the least!

?

That is a beauty. Something to be very proud of to have in your collection.
    Congrats on that pick up.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast