Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Genuine 1936 Model SS NCO's Degen?

Article about: Hi all, first post, hope it's not to cheeky to dive straight in? I have my late father's 'war booty' SS sword, which he apparently acquired whilst serving in Italy just after WWII, and was h

?

Default Genuine 1936 Model SS NCO's Degen?

Hi all, first post, hope it's not to cheeky to dive straight in?

I have my late father's 'war booty' SS sword, which he apparently acquired whilst serving in Italy just after WWII, and was hoping something could confirm (or otherwise) it's authenticity and perhaps give me an idea of it's value. It's in fairly poor (and played with) condition with extremely little of the plating still visible.

Genuine 1936 Model SS NCO's Degen?Genuine 1936 Model SS NCO's Degen?Genuine 1936 Model SS NCO's Degen?Genuine 1936 Model SS NCO's Degen?Genuine 1936 Model SS NCO's Degen?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Genuine 1936 Model SS NCO's Degen?
    P
    Many

Welcome, dont worry its not cheeky lol.

Is the top scabbard fitting Nickel as it looks in better order than the handle (obviously plated)

Nevertheless its genuine, just rough. Is the tiny SS stamp just under the crossguard visible?

On the plus side people seem to lose there sense when they see anything SS so im sure somebody will pay a small fortune for it.

?

Thanks for the quick response matty.

The top scabbard fitting is certainly either made of, or coated with, some non-ferrous material, but the colour doesn't match the bright silver of the few remaining sections of plating on the guard, having a more brassy appearance.

The intertwined SS Karl Diebitsch logo isn't visible under the guard.

Hi Rayson, the SS runes quality stamp under the crossguard should look the same as the set on the throat of the scabbard fitting. Some makers don't have the runes on the scabbard throat but as far as im aware all have them under the crossguard. If not it basically shouldn't have been issued!
    With the case of yours having major loss the plating you may not see this stamp anymore.
    Check the top scabbard with a magnet, if it is non magnetic you have a nickel fitting and this would explain a colour difference.
    If your sword is maker marked that would mean it is an early one, so a nickel fitting is possible.

?

The fitting is not magnetic, and now I think about it is the same colour as nickel silver model train track.

Would a sympathetic restoration be a viable project?

There would be your answer to the fitting anyway.

As for the restoration, if it has a sentimental meaning id keep it as it is.

The handle could be replated, the scabbard could be repainted.

If your gonna sell it, sell it as it is. As I said it's SS, somebody will buy it. By replating and repainting more often than not it puts people off.

See what the others think.

Good luck with your decisions, matty

I think I could manage to offer a tenner for it postage paid.lol.

Shame about the overall condition.

Certainly original.

I agree: if you plan to sell leave it "as is".

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Excellent, thanks all.

No one has mentioned the number 143 stamped on the blade. Possibly an SS number, BUT 143 is VERY LOW, actually lower than Himmler's number.

Checking the lists, 143 is not on the SS Officers Dienstalterliste, so IF (and a big if) it would have been carried by a man who was a very early SS member and either an enlisted man or an NCO at best.

However, it could be someone's last three digits of their SS number.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast