Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please

Article about: Hi all, just brought this dagger from a dealer and I have a week to take it back if I am not happy. The blade side with the makers mark has non original grind marks ( not ninety degrees to t

Default re: Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please

I see. If you take a look there you see the same out of line spine after the grinding. So it must be a grounded Röhm after all.

Regards, Wim

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hammesfahr SS Dagger, serial numbered - opinions please
    P
    Many

?

its the first one i saw with numbers on the crossguard,, done nice but when?

Hi Colt, you must have forgot my two which I have shown on the forum

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by colt45 View Post
    its the first one i saw with numbers on the crossguard,, done nice but when?
    It is the only one I have seen with an engraved number, all the other ones i have seen have stamped numbers. It is impossible to tell when the engraving was done but I am in the process of researching the s.s. number.

The addition of SS serial number to daggers was only officially authorised for a short time. They was no set way of doing this as it was done at the owners expense. One of mine is stampted while the other is neatly engraved.

Judging the authenticity is a judgement call. You have to look at the font style used, the way the markings might have aged, patina if present, etc. The next thing is research. Until recently it was not possible to research anything but SS Officers serial numbers. Now researchers have opened up files on NCO's and enlisted men. You can then see if the serial number would correspond correctly with the age of the dagger compared with when the owner joined the SS. If the number was to someone very famous then some extra care would be needed. Fakers would not be above adding a bogus number to a otherwise good dagger.

Keith, I really hope the number comes up

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The addition of SS serial number to daggers was only officially authorised for a short time. They was no set way of doing this as it was done at the owners expense. One of mine is stampted while the other is neatly engraved.

Judging the authenticity is a judgement call. You have to look at the font style used, the way the markings might have aged, patina if present, etc. The next thing is research. Until recently it was not possible to research anything but SS Officers serial numbers. Now researchers have opened up files on NCO's and enlisted men. You can then see if the serial number would correspond correctly with the age of the dagger compared with when the owner joined the SS. If the number was to someone very famous then some extra care would be needed. Fakers would not be above adding a bogus number to a otherwise good dagger.

Keith, I really hope the number comes up

Cheers, Ade.
    One of the researchers says he has the number so I will post up if I get the full details

I guess I'll stay out of this one, but I think pictures are not enough for a thumb's up or thumb's down.

?

Just found out the number can be traced the owner was a scharfuhrer and there is a photo of him wearing the dagger in his file.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2