Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Hammesfahr SS rig

Article about: Hello all, The crossguards almost look plated to me and the scabbard is obviously of the painted variety. Any thoughts on this one for me? A parts dagger perhaps or maybe just a transitional

Default Hammesfahr SS rig

Hello all,

The crossguards almost look plated to me and the scabbard is obviously of the painted variety. Any thoughts on this one for me? A parts dagger perhaps or maybe just a transitional?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hammesfahr SS rig   Hammesfahr SS rig  

Hammesfahr SS rig   Hammesfahr SS rig  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hammesfahr SS rig
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hammesfahr SS rig

Hi William I would say parts dagger than a Transitional. This has an early logo with a mid to late period scabbard. The lower scabbard fitting in one of your photos,,if the light shows this to my eyes correctly of some lifting on the lower chape.
    I feel the blade and logo look ok,,but an in hand inspection would put any doubts to rest.
    Without seeing closeups of the rear lower guard,, I would have to say the plated variety as you say.

THE GRIP!!........I see traces of black paint on the runes button and grip eagle almost looks like it was recently done or a failed attempt to repaint the grip in a flat black paint. In the photo the eagle looks to be an aluminum type but hard to say because of the lighting..if it were aluminum,,it would make the dagger mid to late period. My opinion on this is a parts dagger.
    Hammesfahr daggers are highly reproduced and messed with. If Im correct I see some crossgrain left on the blade reverse,,but again hard to say because of the lighting.

I like to hear some other thoughts or observations if I have missed anything. looks ok IMO for a parts dagger,, but not early period at all. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I concur with Larry.
    In addition; the blade looks 'worked', crossgrain missing, hanger is a later RZM type. Parts sled at best IMHO.

-wagner-

Hello again,

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. Glad my gut told me to post it!

William Kramer

Messed with blade...aluminum grip eagle, repaint sheath. Grip looks like it's been black shoe polished(you'd think whoever did this would have been more careful and cleaned it up better) It May not be a parts piece(the sheath fit is quite good and the grip wood fit is decent as well), but at best a mid to later dagger that has been badly worked on . The hanger is obviously not original to it, but likely a more recent add on. Not a piece that I would pay decent money for and certainly not for a place in my collection in any case.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."