MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Haul of the year! SS Chained Dagger, First Pattern Luftwaffe Dagger, M1902 Krag Bayonet

Article about: I have seen a lot of unmarked blades, especially chained

Default Re: Haul of the year! SS Chained Dagger, First Pattern Luftwaffe Dagger, M1902 Krag Bayonet

Quote by rbemer207 View Post
    Wait... Are you guys telling me that my Luftwaffe "dagger" is actually a cut down sword???? They look exactly alike.
    Ryan
    No it is a 1st pattern Luft dagger, but the scabbard is an Army sword scabbard that has been cut down to fit the dagger.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Haul of the year! SS Chained Dagger, First Pattern Luftwaffe Dagger, M1902 Krag Bayonet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Haul of the year! SS Chained Dagger, First Pattern Luftwaffe Dagger, M1902 Krag Bayonet

Absolutely fabulous Ryan , is there any known history of the piece ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Congratulations on your new additions.

Wow nice grab Ryan Id take any of them any day

Ryan, Very Well Done!! And if I may - please let me offer you some personal perspective. There is no rush in replacing the missing connector link. And a bad repair is much worse IMO than no repair. I also would NOT for myself be sending it to a dealer for a "restoration" - but that is another story for another day all by itself. Enjoy the day, and the rewards that your study and efforts have produced. Best Regards, Fred

Congratulations Ryan!
    I am very happy for you, (a little jealous, but happy for you). You have managed to do what many of us here wishes would happen to them, and you are only 15! If you keep up the passion that you have now, you will have a very nice collection when you are older. Tell your mother she has my respect for believing in your dreams and aspirations and trusting your intuition as well as the people here that guide you.
    I agree with Andy that the scabbard is most likely for a Heer sword modified to fit the Luft dagger.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Congratulations Ryan!!! A great pickup and a amazing deal. It is nice to see its in the hands of someone who will care for it. Is sad though some druggie sold his grandfathers war prizes for dope. I'm sure if he ever gets off it, he will be kicking himself for this one.

?

Hi Ryan,

Totally Astounding Bargain !!

Congrats on your $400 chained SS dagger find , Looks Great

Regards Mac 66.

Quote by rbemer207 View Post
    Thanks guys for your responses!! Do you guys know what type of metal the chain of the ss dagger is made of? Ryan
    Ryan, As Ger stated - the chain, scabbard fittings, and crossguards are made of nickel silver which (very roughly) is 2/3 copper, nickel and other metals like zinc (there are many formulations). With for the steel types, a softer mild steel (low alloy) that is more suitable for stamping that was nickel plated. Heavy nickel plating for the early ones, and a lighter nickel plate for the later manufactured type. With the long term advantage for the nickel silver types being its resistance to corrosion. And the downside being too much polishing which can destroy the small details in the links and center mount (etc).

PS: Not that it is applies here, I've seen guys try and pass off as original nickel plated links that have been polished down to bare steel. Best Regards, Fred

Im proud of you Ryan and your acomplishments as a well defined youth learning and honoring history. The Chained SS dagger is quite the beauty as the others have commented. I like the font style on this particular motto,, as it has the thinner letters. Overall a trophy and as Fred says,, dont let it leave your house..the red thing can stay on it or use a black twist tie. Leave the patina alone on the fittings...do nothing to them,, just clean and preserve the blade only. Your mothers financial backing netted you a profit you will see in the long run...I STRONGLY SUGGEST TO REMEMBER HER THIS MOTHERS DAY...for helping you to make it happen. Best regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast