Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?

Article about: The short, short version: Perhaps even more well known in gun collecting circles. Collector/contributor Joe Wotka developed the information regarding the “SS-Kulturzeichen”, which he provide

?

Default Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?

Hello
    I ran across this sword today, its a police sword but it has SS ruins on the blade. Have you ever seen this before it looks untouched to me?

Thanks Curt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?   Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?  

Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?   Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?  

Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?   Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?
    P
    Many

I think thats the ss proofing stamp? but could be wrong

This is seen on both Hermann Rath and WKC police degens. It isn't entirely understood why the stamp is present however it doesn't suggest SS party membership.

?

Thanks for the response, that's what I was thinking they used what blades were available!

Decent early Rath Police NCO Degen, Yes this is a proofing or acceptence stamp, it is found on most but not all police sword makers, sometimes the markings can be found under the hilt and on top of the scabbard throat as well, the SS absorbed the police dept when they took over power, some police where also in the SS but this marking does not prove or associate the owner as being a SS member although it is possible.

Excellent John ..here are photos for comparison from Tom Witttmanns site of a Herman Rath logo variant..minus the Kulturzeichen SS proof mark. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?   Hello I was wondering why this police sword has a SS marked blade?  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks for all the help!

Maximus knocked the nail right on the head. I have attached a picture of my SS police officers sword by alcoso. It has a SS runed pommel and SS bullion knot.

Best matty

Quote by mattty01 View Post
    Maximus knocked the nail right on the head. I have attached a picture of my SS police officers sword by alcoso. It has a SS runed pommel and SS bullion knot.

Best matty

Your sword indicates the police officer was also a member of the SS and allowed to wear the SS portopee. I also have one which I veteran purchased back in the mid 1980's. I have always thought the SS runes found on police degen was due to the fact that the only difference between police and SS degen is the grip insignia. It was likely done to avoid stocking duplicate parts where some were proofed and others were not.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Yes basically a police officer but also a full member of the SS so a powerful man indeed. Many opted to wear just the SS knot to show they were SS and did not 'purchase' the optional runed pommel.
    Is your sword identical to mine Bob? these are rarer than the SS officer swords, sadly I have never seen another alcoso one to compare.

cheers matty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast