Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with a Robert Klaas SS dagger?

Article about: I have a dagger and scabbard I found in my father's things after he passed away, it appears to be an SS dagger by Robert Klaas. I'm not sure how he got it, but I'm not sure what to do with i

Default Help with a Robert Klaas SS dagger?

I have a dagger and scabbard I found in my father's things after he passed away, it appears to be an SS dagger by Robert Klaas. I'm not sure how he got it, but I'm not sure what to do with it now. I stumbled across this forum and thought I'd post about it, seeking advice? I am not enthusiastic about having this, but am not sure how to go about finding a fair price, or finding a buyer for that matter. Thoughts?

And thank you for not beating up the newbie! I'll be happy to post a picture if anyone is interested.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with a Robert Klaas SS dagger?
    P
    Many

Post away. Anyone here would be interested in seeing it.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I should explain too that my family is Jewish, so finding this, wrapped in a piece of linen in a box in the attic kind of freaked me out. I don't know a lot, but much of my grandfather's family escaped from both Poland and Berlin in 1936, while many others were lost to the camps. I can't imagine why this would be in our family home, unless he brought it here when he left somehow? I'm sure my dad likely didn't know about it, as he'd have probably thrown it out. How it got there and why is a mystery that will never be solved, as nobody's left for me to ask.

I've been selling many of my parents/grandparent's estate things on Ebay, but of course something like this can't be listed, so I'm really stumped what to do with it.

Sorry the pics are so dark, I can post better pics tomorrow night if anyone wants to see more detailed pics.

Attachment 681133Attachment 681134Attachment 681135Attachment 681136

It would be helpful to see the other side of the blade, specifically the maker's mark too. The ball at the end of scabbard is missing... can't quite tell what's going on there from the pics. It looks like a solid dagger to me with good fittings. It appears the blade might have some scattered blemishes, nicks, and scratches. Interesting story and I can understand the sensitivities.

Quote by Lilrabbitfoofoo View Post
    ......And thank you for not beating up the newbie!
    I might have to beat you up anyway..with a username like that,, ..whats mostly important is the dagger itself presented in your photos. We would like to see the Producers logo..and a closeup of the bottom scabbard fitting...looking at where the ball might have been. ( see photo below )
    The dagger shows its age..anf the vertical hanger is the early type unmarked by a RZM number. This dagger is very collectable..with this early hanger attached. Pleae provide additional photos..of the reverse lower crossguard..for a Roman numeral letter.. photo of the logo...and close up photo..of the bottom of the scabbard fitting looking upward. Regards Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images Help with a Robert Klaas SS dagger? 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Lilrabbitfoofoo, LOL.
    Well it looks 100% but its been beaten up itself so wont be worth a great deal.. As meantioned the bottom ball is gone. Scabbard ring is out of shape but to be honest the blades completely knackered anyway so it isn't gonna make much difference. Looks to me somebodys gone crazy with a 4" grinder, theres grinding marks the full length of the blade and also just under the motto not to meantion it been sharpened.
    On the plus side it is the 33' model. It has a vertical hanger (all be it the later plated version) which could be worth something depending on the condition of the leather and the markings on the inside (which I would like to know).
    I do also like how the black handles retreated back to the wood finish in places, it really shows show genuine use.
    If the story is true, (we've heard them all here) id personally keep the linen it was wrapped up in too.
    If you wanna sell it (which I think ur wrong to do), you need to say which country you are from so people will tell you who to talk too.
    all the best matty
    Last edited by matty01; 04-26-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I might have to beat you up anyway..with a username like that,, ..whats mostly important is the dagger itself presented in your photos. We would like to see the Producers logo..and a closeup of the bottom scabbard fitting...looking at where the ball might have been. ( see photo below )
    The dagger shows its age..anf the vertical hanger is the early type unmarked by a RZM number. This dagger is very collectable..with this early hanger attached. Pleae provide additional photos..of the reverse lower crossguard..for a Roman numeral letter.. photo of the logo...and close up photo..of the bottom of the scabbard fitting looking upward. Regards Larry
    LOL Yeah, people always laugh at the name, I used to have a children's bookstore, and the name kind of stuck!

There is a roman numeral III there, and I will post better pictures tonite when I get home from work showing all the places you requested! Thank you for your response!

LOL I'm glad my name is giving everyone a grin! I got it when AOL was big and I'd first opened my bookshop, and had a hard time coming up with a name that wasn't taken. Every variation of my store's name was taken at the time, and I got so frustrated with it, I'd determined the next book I took out of a box to shelve would be my name! I guess I should be glad it wasn't a history box, or my screen name could have been The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn!

Thank you for your time in responding! I'll post more pics and update my profile this evening when I get home. I am from the East Coast of the USA.

I'm in a place in life where I need (more than want) to get rid of some of these things, and this isn't something I really want to keep, as it bothers me. I have a number of pieces of Judaica that I'm keeping that were in my family, but this seems wrong for ME to keep somehow. I'd rather it go to someone that has an interest in this particular period of history.

It clearly has some flaws, some I saw, others I didn't know about like the missing ball as was pointed out, and the rear of the handle has some initials carved into it. I'll post those tonight, when I have some time to be more careful of my picture taking and better light.

Thank you all for your help!

I'm no expert on edged weapons at all but welcome to the forum!...

?

What a really weird & morbid item for a Jewish family to own

Wonder why your father choose to have this SS dagger in his house ??

Anyway its a genuine period made SS dagger, Vertical hanger looks genuine as well

Not in the best condition but worth around 1700 to 1800 as a complete rig with the Vertical hanger included imo.

Regards Mac 66.
    Last edited by Mac 66; 04-26-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast