Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I need your help - SS Dagger model36

Article about: Hello, I need yalls help. Is this dagger original or not? It is supposed to be SS model36. Danke

Exclamation I need your help - SS Dagger model36

Hello,
    I need yalls help. Is this dagger original or not? It is supposed to be SS model36.

Danke

I need your help - SS  Dagger model36I need your help - SS  Dagger model36I need your help - SS  Dagger model36I need your help - SS  Dagger model36I need your help - SS  Dagger model36I need your help - SS  Dagger model36I need your help - SS  Dagger model36I need your help - SS  Dagger model36I need your help - SS  Dagger model36

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I need your help - SS  Dagger model36
    P
    Many

Default Re: I need your help - SS Dagger model36

Hello Zera welcome to the forum..well yes your dagger is an M36 but the lower crossguard is an Early SA crossguard Gruppe marked "Nm" and does not belong to a true Chained SS. The use of your flash washes out much detail of your dagger. Please post pics of the front and back of the clover leaf snap at the top of the chain assembly a full photo front and back of the chain links....close ups of the connector link located on the center ramp of the scabbard that connects the links to the scabbard ramp. A close up of the lower back part of the grip as it looks it has issues,, a close up of the motto...and no direct flash as this would be a good start for out SS collectors here to help you with the best advice. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

A close up of the upper guard and grip nut would be good as well.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you for your reactions. I d love to post more, but it is an opportunity for me to buy this piece. I was trying to find about authenticity of this dagger. The owner claims it is original so I dont know. Also, he claims that models 36 have never been markerd on the lower blade. Is it true?

No...it's not original. It is a "Parts Dagger" which has been assembled from various parts after the war. As Larry pointed out, the crossguard has "Mn" stamped on it, which means it came from an SA dagger and is not original for an SS.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 02-11-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    William

ok thank you. you probably do not know where to get a good original right?

The Chained Model 36's are never very reasonable in price anywhere you go, but one of the 1st and best places to check, I would suggest, is Paul Hogle at Lakesidetrader.com. He is one of the website Sponsors here and is about as fair and knowledgeable a seller of daggers as you could hope to find. I have dealt with him before and highly recommend him.
    William

?

Paul would also be my first choice on edged weapons.

Regards, Lars

Quote by Zeratul46 View Post
    Thank you for your reactions. I d love to post more, but it is an opportunity for me to buy this piece. I was trying to find about authenticity of this dagger. The owner claims it is original so I dont know. Also, he claims that models 36 have never been markerd on the lower blade. Is it true?
    Hi Zera,,yes that is correct that period Chained SS daggers were produced with no makers logo,,,but some have been found to have a logo on them as the SS officer elected to use his own dagger than to pay full price of a whole Chained SS set. IMO only a documented direct Vet bring back or find would support this theory,,as today it is easy to add a dagger to a chained scabbard. Some dealers cringe when I write this stuff,,but then again its my opinion and observations.
    Wagriff`s Lakesidetrader suggestion is at the top of my list and will spend the time with you if you have any questions.
    Unfortunately since you can not get more photos our hands are tied. I wish you the best in your search. Thank you for posting here. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill