Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger

Article about: Just picked up this one today and I am almost 100% sure it is a good dagger. My rational was it is in such rough condition it could not be fake! Please if you dagger experts could educate me

Default My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger

Just picked up this one today and I am almost 100% sure it is a good dagger. My rational was it is in such rough condition it could not be fake! Please if you dagger experts could educate me about it and let me know my best way to help stop the rust that has taken hold. Thank you all in advance!

Regards,

Jeff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger   My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger  

My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger   My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger  

My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger   My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger
    P
    Many

Default re: My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger

looks like a very tired original piece

Default re: My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger

Hi, Jeff !

It looks good to me, but it is in pretty bad shape. I think if you did not pay too much,
    it may be a candidate for restoration.

( The wood grip can be brought back with ebony powder and a glue/epoxy mixture,
    some black dye, and a polish. Sould be done by a pro though, as the area near
    the pommel has the tang exposed, and there shouldn't be anything adhering
    to it. You could also get an SS/NSKK scabbard to complete the dagger,
    but the fit of the crossguard to the mouth curvature should
    match, if possible...........)

If you were to wipe on WD40 or gun oil, it will remove some surface rust and protect
    the blade, but the 'deeper' rusty areas will turn a bit darker than they are now.
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: My first "Out of the Woodwork" 1933 SS Dagger

Thanks for the comments guys, and the hefty price tag of $160 USD is something I can handle. Can either of you or anyone else say who is a good person to trust if I do go that route? Also what does something like that cost? This is my first ever dagger purchase and I love SS stuff. I have not decided for sure on restoration though.

Jeff

?

Jeff , you should definately try to halt the rusting process, but to do this could change the appearance of the blade so therefore try this first, its something that i use , Its a product called SHINE, its a very effective metal polish but its not aggressive, and will gently clean the rust deposits and put some lustre back onto the blade and the fittings, if at all possible, remove the wooden handle, this may be difficult because the rust may have absorbed into the wood, therefore try some WD40 along the exposed screw thread and also let the oil seep along into the securing nut, and when your ready take a correct sized spanner and gently work the nut to and fro until loose, apply some more oil, and undo the nut if free, if all this can be done the whole seperate pieces can be cleaned easier, rust can be removed from the whole of the screw thread by using a soft brass brush, do not use any abrasive on the fittings apart from SHINE and this should be done very gently with a cotton bud, you could restore the handle but this will take extra caution

Jeff, a nice pick up at that price

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

'Poor baby'

Can anyone advise the best way to get the dirt off of the wood? Its like some type of clay, I was just going to try to chip it off with my nail, brush it with a tooth brush, and wipe it down with water.

Jeff

?

That sounds the safest way although you might remove some of the underlying colour but if you consider to restore then it doesnt really hurt

?

Nice pick up, Jeff! You cant beat that price ! I would have got that too if I had the chance.I wonder why the clay is on there?
    ~Dean

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast