Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My SS dagger - newbie questions

Article about: I totally agree with Harry here. Finding a complete and period authentic grip set up along with hardware as well is an almost guaranteed very long and fruitless search. And, even if by a hug

Default Re: My SS dagger - newbie questions

I totally agree with Harry here. Finding a complete and period authentic grip set up along with hardware as well is an almost guaranteed very long and fruitless search. And, even if by a huge stroke of luck that you Did find one, it would, as has been said, never fit perfectly and you would still end up with a very costly parts dagger. Unfortunately, I'd say that your best bet would be to sell it For parts, to those who have a need for the useable bits that are left here. The vertical hanger, for example, has considerable collectability- although it's in rough condition, and there are always those who would like a sheath to dress up a dagger that's missing one-even though the fit would not be correct, it May, if you're lucky, be Close enough. As far as value goes, you're Probably looking at 2 or 300 dollars at the most here, but to find, rebuild and restore it as it is to anything close to original condition again, you would likely be talking twice that amount.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My SS dagger -  newbie questions
    P
    Many

Regrettably, I'm afraid that I am going to have to agree with the above comments by William. And judging by some of the more recent daggers that I've seen for sale, even those who have considerably more resources than the average collector seem to be having a problem putting together their own "future project" daggers. Daggers that have been sitting in their drawers or parts box for years that were incomplete, and are now force matched with what is at hand to make them marketable. Fred

?

Some good advice, guys. I'm stubborn and if this was in my family or if I had it for a long time, I may be sentimental and would holdout for replacement pieces. However, if you need money or want a complete dagger ASAP then this would sell fast as is or parted out. This forum has a fine classifieds section if you choose to sell.

Hi Dino welcome to the forum.....Im not sure if my eyes are deceiving me but it looks as though in the 2nd photo from the top that the tang is broken..can you show a close up of the tang and any markings on it. A broken tang is the same as a broken tip...IMO. Not much of a market to replace tangs..but please correct me if I am wrong in what Im seeing. Even if you were to find a grip and if the tang were broken..the grip would slide off and would be a dagger that should not be moved at all.
    Please I invite you to prove me wrong and I will admit it if I am.... show us a close up of what Im seeing along with any markings. The rest of the dagger is salty and should be left well alone if you plan to sell it. let the next owner as was advised earlier in this thread..to clean the dagger themselves.
    Interesting though that the scabbard is on the hanger backwards..but hard to say if it was done during the period. I have seen some period examples of reversed scabbards in hangers untouched since the war..so it was the original owner who done it at that time. I cant say for sure if this is what happened here but it is reversed.
    Please if you may.....just a few photos more...for myself and the collectors and for reference of this thread.
    Close up of the whole tang and any markings.....and close up of the motto and RZM number. Crusty looking but nice. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Dino welcome to the forum.....Im not sure if my eyes are deceiving me but it looks as though in the 2nd photo from the top that the tang is broken..can you show a close up of the tang and any markings on it. A broken tang is the same as a broken tip...IMO. Not much of a market to replace tangs..but please correct me if I am wrong in what Im seeing. Even if you were to find a grip and if the tang were broken..the grip would slide off and would be a dagger that should not be moved at all.
    Please I invite you to prove me wrong and I will admit it if I am.... show us a close up of what Im seeing along with any markings. The rest of the dagger is salty and should be left well alone if you plan to sell it. let the next owner as was advised earlier in this thread..to clean the dagger themselves.
    Interesting though that the scabbard is on the hanger backwards..but hard to say if it was done during the period. I have seen some period examples of reversed scabbards in hangers untouched since the war..so it was the original owner who done it at that time. I cant say for sure if this is what happened here but it is reversed.
    Please if you may.....just a few photos more...for myself and the collectors and for reference of this thread.
    Close up of the whole tang and any markings.....and close up of the motto and RZM number. Crusty looking but nice. Regards Larry
    First, thanks to everyone who has replied to me. Its been very helpful.

I've posted some more pics. There are some shadows but they should be readable. I'm a 'newbie' so by "tang" I assume you mean the shaft where the handle would be. It is not broken. The threads on the end seem to be in very good condition and usable. I have not tried to thread a nut on to test. The tang does have a slight bend, visible if you look closely at the picture.

As I said in my original message, its been in storage for awhile, but it is very possible that I or someone in my family slid the hanger off the scabard and replaced it backwards many years ago. Should I attempt to remove it and reverse it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My SS dagger -  newbie questions   My SS dagger -  newbie questions  

My SS dagger -  newbie questions  

?

Forgot to add that I cannot find any markings on the tang.

Hi Dino...do not touch the hanger as it is quite worn,..which any attempt to reverse its position could break the tattered leather. Leave it be! I can see why there is no handle as it appears to me yes the tang is bent which could of led to a hard hit splitting and destroying the wood grip. Its a shame the crossguards are gone also.

Im a little at odds with the motto as the lettering has characteristics of Early Carl Eickhorn....as the mid to later RZM Eickhron types dont seem to exhibit the same. Most noticeably on some areas of the seriff on a few places. One example below taken from your photo shows ..the lower part of the letter."H" swinging down to the right and the letter "T" with the right hand side of the "T" cross the line extends further to the right.
    The producer PD Luneschloss also exhibits the same. It may be nothing as towards the end of the war companies were swapping parts with each other,,but IMO I feel this is not a true EP&S "Ernst pack & Sohn" motto...I am open to comments and corrections if any,,so as to find the truth. But from what I see including the dotted "I" lettering..also has its doubts. The motto is slightly running downhill towards the end of the motto. maybe Im making too much out of this but..again I am open to more opinions.
    I also feel without the crossguards this dagger will not fetch much in price...but still worth something as parts. Regards Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images My SS dagger -  newbie questions 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Interesting discrepancy! Almost certainly a late in the war parts job, but who knows? As you said, a shame the guards are missing also, or else a grip could conceivably been found, but guards,pummel nut And the grip With eagle and roundel? I wouldn't hold my breath!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2