Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Named and researched SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

Article about: Hi Raymond, I was think that as he was a wanted war criminal and having commited suicide, the Allies might well have not allowed him a known marked grave? But as we have said, he was still o

Default re: Named and researched SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Mat, thanks for the comments.

It was his SS serial number plus his intitals to the crossguard which identified it. Simply a case of going through the 1936 Dienstalterliste and Bingo! I did my research there with the late author James Lucas who used to work in the Dept of Photos at the IWM.

I will have a look at the website you mentioned.

Cheers, Ade.
    I bet your were dumbfounded to discover it belonged to such a high-profile figure, especially one as infamous as he seems to be. I assume the one who brought this back would have obtained this directly from Lolling, it's strange he never told his nephew (if I read correct?) about such a significant thing. I'm surprised the people at the Imperial War Museum didn't try to purchase it from you!

Mat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named and researched SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936
    P
    Many

Hi Mat, at the time this was just the first step on the road. All I knew then was he was a Hauptsturmführer serving in the Sanitätsabteilung of the SS-VT. But I was excited to find that! As you can imagine as the story unfolded with more research over the years the more exciting it became.

Malc's uncle just told him he picked up the dagger in Germany in 1945 when he was with the British Army. He never knew the exact circumstances.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named and researched SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ah, I see. I can indeed imagine how thrilling it must have been to discover all of this information about the dagger! It's so fortunate it came into your hands, it could easily have ended up with someone who would never have thought to research it's past- and it's history would have been lost. Same almost happened with my skull badge, it's only because I asked about it that I found out, and I'm so glad I did. It's finding out the past of things that really makes this hobby interesting. Thanks again for posting this up, and congrats on such a fascinating piece.

Mat

Hi Mat, I have added to full scan of the page to my previous post so you can see it better. These lists make interesting reading.

I have talked to folks who own/ed serial numbered daggers who have never even thought about trying to research them which totally beats me!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks for posting that, I just ordered a copy, it's a subject I've been interested in for a long time. I'm visiting Auschwitz in about two weeks, so it's of a particular relevance to me right now.

Mat

?

Quote by ToxicGas View Post
    Thanks for posting that, I just ordered a copy, it's a subject I've been interested in for a long time. I'm visiting Auschwitz in about two weeks, so it's of a particular relevance to me right now.

Mat

No problem... I just found a signed NSKK book on ebay of all places.

Here is a wonderfull character assasination of him by former Auschwitz kommandant Rudolf Hoess in his book "Death Dealer" written while he was himself awaiting execution.
    Ade, would you recommend reading this book also?

Mat

Hi Lowboy & Mat, "Death Dealer" is superb and gives a good insight in the mind of the man.

"Nazi Doctors" is also required reading. Dr Lolling is mentioned in it many times. I photocopied the pages from it and placed it in my file about him for easy access.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Lowboy & Mat, "Death Dealer" is superb and gives a good insight in the mind of the man.

"Nazi Doctors" is also required reading. Dr Lolling is mentioned in it many times. I photocopied the pages from it and placed it in my file about him for easy access.

Cheers, Ade.
    I shall have to buy Death Dealer then when I've read through Nazi Doctors. It should be particularly interesting now to read about Lolling.

Mat

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast