Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

In need of appraisal for SS Dagger

Article about: My father has had this dagger for years. We inherited it from a collector who had a dagger from each of the Third Reich's branches (Luftwaffe, Wehrmacht, etc.). We are looking to sell it soo

mkobylar
    ?

Default In need of appraisal for SS Dagger

My father has had this dagger for years. We inherited it from a collector who had a dagger from each of the Third Reich's branches (Luftwaffe, Wehrmacht, etc.).

We are looking to sell it soon but need a solid valuation.

I greatly value any input you may have!

Best,
    Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture In need of appraisal for SS Dagger   In need of appraisal for SS Dagger  

In need of appraisal for SS Dagger   In need of appraisal for SS Dagger  

2. # ADS

Hi Myko..welcome to the forum..you have an early period SS enlisted mans dagger made by the Robert Klass Co. There are a couple of minor issues with your dagger but not really bad at all. The screws on the lower scabbard fitting have ben replaced and you are missing one screw from what i can see on the upper fitting next to the carrying ring...other than that...I see a nice black Motto which is very collectable. The scabbard is the painted variety that began to appear in 1934..and looks to have all the original paint on it...but worn away in some areas. The hanger is a nice plus also to have with this early vintage dagger. Interesting hanger clip device..one I never seen before but a replacement IMO during the end of the early period. Very Nice. I will PM you with more information. Put an add in our classifieds section these daggers are highly desirable..and will sell within a reasonable time. Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Love it! Nice early and original piece.

Seems to be original, but does have some issues like Larry said.

The runes have either shifted or were put back in wrong too. Along with some gouges and chips on the handle. Its Hard to tell if the blade has any cross grain left or has been messed with,with the pics. but she sure does have some nice honest ageing.

But its a very sought after TR Dagger, obviously.

Valuation wise.....It all depends on if you want to wholesale fast or be smart and patient and list it here,and hope for the right collector. Individuals rarely get what dealers ask. But if you search you can find them for sale,then use your judgement from there,considering its issues also. I am sure you will get a few emails,many for more pics and how much.

Quote by command450 View Post
    Seems to be original, but does have some issues like Larry said.

The runes have either shifted or were put back in wrong too.
    Not necessarily correct.
    Some makers are known for offsetting the runes button so that they would be oriented correctly when suspended by the hanger.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph is correct. The runes are proper. It is quite normal to see them point to seven o'clock. This is a decent Model 33 "Kissing Cranes" Robert Klaas dagger and is in nice but dirty condition and could much benefit from a gentle wipe down. I would place this piece in the 1936-37 period, as it has, what looks to be, a painted sheath but still has the Roman numeral distribution mark on the crossguard and looks to be nickel fittings. The sheath screws may be difficult to obtain, but they Can be found. The vertical leather hanger is in excellent condition and is worth a good bit just by itself. I do wonder if the sheath has, perhaps, been repainted-likely period done, as this early a dagger could possibly be in an anodized sheath but this one shows paint. Did the original owner repaint it when the anodizing wore off? It has also been taken apart and not gently, at some time in it's life. The top of the grip shows chipping from humidity swelling after improper tightening of the nut. This also would explain the oddity of the missing and replaced sheath nuts.
    All in all, a good SS dagger in the rough that should clean up and look great. I look forward to seeing it and it's "brothers" in the classified listings soon!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Interesting, I never knew that was a standard production proceedure. thanks for sharing the knowledge gents.